• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think I may jump the boat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackPot

Thinking of going back to an Intel box and not sure on what platform and what cpu to choose. My initial thoughts is to get a 2.4B and a DDR based mobo (from my current setup). What do you guys recommend?

I have planned:
-P4 2.4B (hopefully a C1)
-Asus P4B533-E, P4PE, or an Abit IT7II
-Corsair XMS 3200C2 (already have)
-GeForce3 Ti200 (Soon to be an AIW9700)

The Revelation

Registered
If you are going DDR, I'd recommend the IT7 board.

Don't go crazy hoping for a C1 stepping either, since a lot of people here are having mixed results oc'ing them.

thirteen13rulez

sounds good. im going to get almost the same setup. i would go with 1 of the asus boards for easier voltage regulation by default, but if you feel like doing the wire wrap trick, then go with the abit board

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Get the 2.4b chip and the Asus P4PE. I have the p4pe in my rig right now, all I am waiting for is the FEDEX guy to drop off my 2.8, its coming TODAY! I have done a lot of research and the P4PE is a great DDR board. My old mobo was the P4B533 and it was just awesome...the #6 dipswitch turned to the "on" position with a fsb above 133 will enable the cpu/mem ratio of "3/4" which allowed me to run my Corsair at 226mhz. Hows that for a DDR solution? You can't go wrong with either of the two boards that yuo have mentioned.

pacino

The devil’s advocate
I've got it, I love it and I won't sell it! it only overvolts for now, new bios will fix that for sure! so if you get P4PE don't worry about your temp being a lil high for now :)

thirteen13rulez

i wouldnt get the p4pe right now... the p4b533 is cheaper and you will probably want to get a new mobo when you get a new cpu, seeing that dual-ddr will be available then, possibly ddr-II.

OP
CrackPot

CrackPot

Thanks guys for all the info. I think I'm going to wait it out until the C1's become mainstream. And if GB comes out before that then it's a defenite maybe.