• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thinking about getting water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hc1001

check out my sig...im not sure where to start. i kno i want to cool the CPU and GPU in the future but not right now. i have a antec dragon case. i am a noobie to watercooling and dunno what parts or anything to get. can someone help me out? i think 3/8 tubing is better than 1/2. i will need a pump, reservoir, tubing, CPU block, and radiator. correct me if im wrong. i want to try and spend as little money as possible..... what kind of pump should i get? im not sure how much water flow GPH i need so i ask u guys to help. should i buy a pump submerged in a reservoir combo thing? or if u guys kno of a better way and cheaper plz let me kno. im guessing 3/8 tubing is better so i will go with that how many feet of it should i get? i guess i dont need the extra feet for the GPU cooler, ill jsut buy it when i buy the gpu block. ok...now i need a P4 socket 478 CPU block. could someone recommend me a CPU? im looking at the swiftech 478 with pelt CPU block, what types of temps would i expect form it? what would i expect if i get the 462 universal one without the pelt? swiftech are really pricey if someone can recommend me a cheaper but equal in performance that would be cool. is there a problem if i use the pump with only a CPU block and not a GPU one? i would like a strong pump so i can use a GPU block in the future. and the last thing, a radiator. could someone recommend me one that is a cheap and goo performer? i was looking at some blackice radiators, they good? thx for any help u can provide. if u can list the exact model or the parts i need or i should consider that would be great! also im really confused about those elbow, T, Y fittings...and what should i use as the liquid?

Frodo Baggins

Go and read some guides on the overclockers.com site, that'll show you alot about water cooling

About cheap parts, then I think the cheapest way to water cool is to build your own parts, but if your like me and odn't trust yoruselfto build quality parts then you could always get a mix and match

Basically, you need:
(for a res system)

Pump: I got mine and it works great for 30 bucks CDN (that's about 20 bucks US) It's a Powerheard Pro3 260 GPH pump that I got from an aqaurium pet shop

Reservoir: Bah, tupperware is the best, find one that'll fi tyour pump

Bong/Heatercore/Rad: Don't bother buying one of those expensive ones online. Get yourself a small rad by going with a private car parts shop and asking them for a cheap used one. I got mine in perfect condition for 20 bucks CDN, about 13-14 bucks US

Tubing/clamps: Home depot, any hardware store should have them

Block: I bought mine from a store in my city that had them. You can always get the Unablock from Aquastealth (link please) It costs 15 bucks US and it's a pretty decent block. If you have the money that you can buy other blocks like Dangerden blocks, Swifties, etc. Your gonna haev to ask someone esle for the blocks, i'm nto too knowledgable there

And there's a pretty cheapo system that will give you reliability!

micamica1217

hi,

well you can look here at my rig.

I realy don't think you need a pelter for any P4...

I too think you can save big bucks by doing alot of the work yourself.
yet I stink at doing labor work, like putting fittings on a heater core. hell I still need to cut the front of my case so my 120mm fan gets better air flow...dremel coming soon.

yet you can make your own shroud if you like too.

there are plenty of guides here on OC's home or on the forums.

I would buy a good water block if I where you, and the rest can be gotten at home depot and the auto store.

if you noticed...my temps are a little high, yet please understand, my room temps are too, and 25% of my fan is blocked by my case.

anyway, you could always PM me if you have any questions or you need help getting started.

best of luck

mica

OP
H

hc1001

thx for the info guys....but i dunno how strong of a pump i should get. i think i want to use tupperwear and submerge a pump in it...the pump will be fine under water right or am i missing a step??? can u plz tell me whats a good GPH flow.....i am gonna use it for the cpu and then later on add a gpu.

mfpmax

Just go sheep style and use one of the 3-4 popular model pumps between 600GPH and 1500.

So you've got the Ehiem, the Via Aqua, the Maxi-Jet, the Powerhead, and the Danner Magdrive.

I chose the Maxi-Jet 1200 myself.

micamica1217

well, I like the kit, yet that is one huge rad.

the best rads seem to be a heater core like I have.
if you can't mod it, then get one from danger den or D-tec...

as for the best blocks....maze2 or maze3 are great.
no real diferance in temps.

if you can stand the noise, go for a delta 120mm fan, I think it's rated 3100rpm. I have a 2100rpm panaflow.
it seems to work good, yet I realy wont know untill I cut my case.

you could try a push/pull two fan set up.:rolleyes:
again, I would, yet I fear the noise would be too much.

I also think that inline, no sump, is better.

I also think that you realy dont need a powerful pump, not in an inline anyway.
once you go too powerful, it seems that you get more heat from your pump, since your flow is restricted by things like rad and block.

also, 1/2 in tubing seems best.

I hope this helps

mica