• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about M.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I was considering getting an M.2 drive, but the only problem is that I am running two 970's in SLI. That puts the both of them in 3.0 x8. Due to the 4790k only having 16 PCIE lanes, adding anything would mean for a decrease in speed for my secondary card. But will running my secondary 970 in 3.0 x4 make a big of a difference?

Also, my board comes with an M.2 x2 slot. If I put a drive in there would that drop my bottom card to x6 or x4 giving me another two lanes to play with? (I would most likely use an adapter to get the full x4 speed)

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
x6 is not a valid PCIe configuration, you only get x1/x2/x4/x8/x16.

SLI will not function under x8/x8, you cannot use an M.2 SSD in that motherboard with your current configuration.

wingman99

I was just wondering when you place a M.2 SSD on Z79 board does it just disable SLI or will both cards run 4x like triple SLI 4x.

OP
BlueNostromo

BlueNostromo

x6 is not a valid PCIe configuration, you only get x1/x2/x4/x8/x16.

SLI will not function under x8/x8, you cannot use an M.2 SSD in that motherboard with your current configuration.

Didn't know that! Guess I might look into selling these cards, but currently I am trying to sell my laptop...

ATMINSIDE

I was just wondering when you place a M.2 SSD on Z79 board does it just disable SLI or will both cards run 4x like triple SLI 4x.

Did you mean X79, Z97, or Z77?

Like I just said, SLI needs to be x8/x8 or it will not function.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Crossfire works with one of the cards at 4x, not sure about two. I would guess yes.

Though, I am not sure how you would get x4 PCIe lanes on each card?

ATMINSIDE

ok it was z97, Will crossfire work 4x 4x?

Yes, Crossfire will work lower than x8/x8.
Typically there you end up with x8/x4, but note that x4 will cause a decent performance hit (IIRC almost 10%).

wingman99

Crossfire works with one of the cards at 4x, not sure about two. I would guess yes.

Though, I am not sure how you would get x4 PCIe lanes on each card?

It's ben a long time since I looked into this. I think its like video memory both cards run at the lowest denominator even though the top card can use 8x lanes.