• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about upgrading from a BFG GTX285 to 2)MSI GTX470 Twin Frozr's in SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UncleWally

New guy here, although not new to building machines. Started building them when 486/25's were the hot item. Kinda dating myself there, but anyways....

Here's my current setup:
EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR x58 Mobo
i7 920
9 gb RAM
BFG GTX285
300 gb Velociraptor
Windows XP Pro 64

I'm mostly an online gamer, but I play music and watch movies also. Experiencing some issues atm with WoW on maxed settings. Thinking it's a vid issue.

So got online and started looking at new cards and a few other things. So started thinking about making a few upgrades and attempting to do some OCing (never played with that before).

So here is what I am thinking of having in the end:
EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR x58 Mobo
i7 920
9 gb RAM
2) MSI N470GTX Twin FrozrII Geforce GTX470 1280MB 320 bit GDDR5 in SLI
1) EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256 bit DDR3 in PhysX (from the backup machine)
2) 300 gb Velociraptors in RAID 0
160 gb HDD for OS and other non gaming files like music and such
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Figured once I got all that running I would make some attempts at OC'ing it. Use the 285GTX in the backup machine to game a little while working the bugs out of this one.

I'm mostly worried about the choice of vid cards at this point. I thought about H20 cooling, but that is a little more than I want to invest at this point. I haven't seen much for reviews on that vid card short of the what NewEgg had.

Any thoughts? Like I said, I'm new and know enough to be extremely dangerous. Thought I would run it by a few that are more experienced than me.

Waldo

Well if I had that kinda budget I would just go with a single gtx 570. Should be plenty of horsepower and I would also get a ssd for my running system and most used games/programs. Put my music and other files on the velociraptors and cancel out the 160gb hd.
I'm also wondering how you got 9gbs of ram?

3 sticks of 2gb and 3 sticks of 1 gb. Bought 3gb initially and it wasn't enough. Couldn't get the same stuff as before, so bought 6gb and then left the 3gb in.

Odd but it worked. Would have prefered 6 sticks of 2gb, but that's how it goes.

2 470's is only $30 more than a 570. Won't 2 470's outperform a 570?

Thanks for the reminder about SSD's. I wasn't thinking that way as last time I looked, price was limiting a raid array of SSD's.

Mostly want to do this to try a few things I haven't done in the past: Raid Array, SLI cards with Physx and OC'ing. A little more cash than needed, but I'll be learning.

Waldo

Last edited:
Back