• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...Thinking Hard...PSP vs Ipod Video.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir. BOBSONATOR

Ok guys its christmastime and i was thinking,....

Wether to get a psp or a Ipod Video.

Is the Psp comforable with you? portable wise? Or does the ipod own it in that?

Thanks for the replys....

PS: I Also lean a little towards the gaming side.

darksparkz

Pretty big of a difference.

The iPod Video is more or less ALL music and videos, while the PSP is some games and some music.

With the PSP, you'll have to buy games to play it on, and for the iPod Video, you can just obtain songs or videos by other means, or buy them off the iPod stores.

Definitely the iPod is more portable due to its size and shape, and you'd want to get more accesories for the PSP, ie. covers, cases, earplugs and whatnot.

OP
Sir. BOBSONATOR

Sir. BOBSONATOR

darksparkz said:
Pretty big of a difference.

The iPod Video is more or less ALL music and videos, while the PSP is some games and some music.

With the PSP, you'll have to buy games to play it on, and for the iPod Video, you can just obtain songs or videos by other means, or buy them off the iPod stores.

Definitely the iPod is more portable due to its size and shape, and you'd want to get more accesories for the PSP, ie. covers, cases, earplugs and whatnot.

Is the psp ok size? i dont want to look like im walking around with an old fashion cell phone lol.

Yuriman

Its pretty small, but I've not heard great things about battery life. I believe it was usually 4-5 hours tops when playing a single player game, and a little as 2 hours when using the WiFi.

FlakMonkey

The PSP has a lower battery life and is actaully a bit large for the pocket. Though it can play games/movies/music and I think the screen is nicer.

The iPod video is much smaller, has a larger capacity, and is cheaper to use for movies/music. (with the PSP you will need a expensive memory card or a HDD attatchment for the space) The downside is these 5G iPods are very buggy as they are somewhat new and they are very easy to scratch and lose the sexiness.

This is coming from a person that had both, then returned both becuase I decided I didnt need either.

aao_pwner

The iPod video is linuxible (if not already they are working on it) but its not as good as the things you can do with the PSP with linux, im sure.

It has a bigger HDD which is a plus, but you can use mem cards on the PSP making it cost more...

GQBalla

the iPod video sucks.....when you watch a video on the iPod the battery last shorter than a psp watchin a video....

i suggest psp i have one and they are great, you can put homebrew games, download games a lot of fun and customization

FlakMonkey

When you say iPod video sucks...is the battery life you only reason? I think some better more thought out statements could be made for such a bold statement.

fuzzba11

The PSP also has widescreen, that makes a HUGE difference when watching movies. If you have any interest whatsoever in games, the PSP is the better choice. It can pump out 3D graphics and still provide hours of great gameplay. The controls are comfortable and responsive, the graphics are fantastic, and UMD movies look like DVD quality.

Popular Science just awarded it best innovation of 2005, it's really that good. Sony built it from the ground up to be both a media player and a gamer's dream and it really shows when you hold it in your hand. The only downside is that you've got to buy a memory stick(or the new 4GB hard drive) if you want to enjoy its extended capabilities like being an mp3 player and a portable TV.

JamesC

Registered
PSP all the way, roms, games, movies, pictures, so many other things you can do with it. I have a PSP and Had Ipod nano and a 4g ipod never used the ipods at all after i got the PSP. I'm a gamer and the gaming aspect was enough for me to tay with PSP. As for cost i dont pay for my mp3's or whatnot and i dont like the fact that ipods almost force you to use itunes.

LordDarik

I'd say go for the PSP if you're a gamer, just buy a 1GB MS Duo memory card for it and your set. It has a very large screen for how compact it is and fits in your pocket unless you wear tight pants. It is very sexy in design and isn't geeky looking like the Nintendo DS. I say pick one up!

blitzkrieg1110

I can say from playing and watching movies on a psp thats its pretty amazing. the battery life isnt too bad for having such a beautiful screen (and it is awesome). my only wish is that there would be more games but i imagine sony and other developers are planning more for the upcoming year. I cannot comment personally on the ipod video as i havent used one but from what i hear its very expensive, has too small of a screen for viewing many videos (the psps screen is practically the whole unit its so large), and has some other problems. not to mention, its much more expensive than the psp. i would go with the psp if i were you.

castroman

Yuriman said:
Its pretty small, but I've not heard great things about battery life. I believe it was usually 4-5 hours tops when playing a single player game, and a little as 2 hours when using the WiFi.

Well with mine i get 7-8 hours of sinlge player / movies / music, and about 4-5 hours using Wi-Fi

zip22

just to add to the mess, the new creative zen vision:m is a little better than the ipod video in many respects, but its fatter (18.6mm compared to 11mm - the psp is 22.9mm thick and it looks like the screen is about the size of the ipod) and the price is $30 more than the ipod video ($60 more if you're a student). it should be coming out soon.
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/

if you're planning on using it to listen to music, i would choose the ipod or the vision:m. if you like the games, obviously get the psp. you can see comparison shots of the two pretty easily
http://images.google.com/images?q=psp ipod

TheGreySpectre

from what I have seen with the PSP the game selection just isnt that great, I would probably go with the ipod myself

OP
Sir. BOBSONATOR

Sir. BOBSONATOR

im looking into playing fifa and surfing on the net, i might be leaning a bit stronger on the psp side now.

THE ONLY thing i like about the ipod is its size. That is my only major battle.

ckj

As far as homebrew stuff goes, sony is doing it's hardest to limit the stuff, so far as there are rumors that the games will update the firmware for you, besides afaik the homebrew stuff was on version 1.5 and the new PSPs have version 2.0 and later.

Also, game releases have been limited, so don't look forward to a large title selection. Also, since you'd be limited to only a gig media it might not be the best choice. Based on your criteria, if fifa is important to you, get the PSP, otherwise you may want a more traditional PDA.

I hear the video formats for the ipod aren't terribly convenient, so make sure to take that into consideration.

FlakMonkey

I know of a video converter that works fine so the format isnt a problem. If you get the iPod PM me and Ill get you the link.

fuzzba11

Admittedly it's far easier to carry an iPod, it's less than half the size of the PSP! Surfing the net isn't that great on the PSP because it doesn't have a keyboard (yet) you have to navigate a cell phone key layout with the arrow keys to access letters/numbers/symbols. It's okay if you just want to get news from Slashdot or read a messageboard, but it's a pain to type.

I'd recommend going somewhere that you can hold the PSP, the screen makes it worth the extra width, and it's much slimmer than I anticipated. I'd say the only reason to get an iPod is if you want to store several gigs of data and won't have access to a computer so you can switch out the videos/mp3s. A gig card for the PSP will be able to hold a movie, or 2-3 TV shows, so it's better to switch out the data every week or so.