• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of ME (windows that is)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I have a winME disk lying around...picked it up just b4 I heard about all the nightmares people were having with os...and decided to shelve it 4 then, but now I am rethinking it (I know thinking IS dangerous). but with my experience with 98 and se and later os's the one I never played with is ME.
My ? is..Is winME really that bad? or is it inexperience that has plagued most ME owners? I pretty much know my way around win2k, and the older os's, so with my experience with all that can go wrong with 98, and what will not work in NT, is it possible to have a positive experience with ME?
I was going to load it on an older comp, but was shocked to learn that it takes 550mb just to load the os...the hdd I was using was only 420mb.
So instead I loaded red hat linux on it just to see what linux was all about...BORING. the gui looks awfull, and the learning curve well, I guess I just wasn't in the mood to learn anything new that nite, so I reformatted, and loaded up the old standby..winblows 98.
Is ME worth a look? will I learn anything from it? can a hard core like myself make it work?
T.I.A.

stool

I've got it loaded on a spare rig just sitting around, waiting for me to play with it. Only loaded it because I had spent the money buying it. I had tried it on my daughters rig, but she couldn't use most of her favorite games, so I had to gong it. I think if you are willing to put up with the resource hogging, you can make it fairly functional.

ToledoSteel

I used it for a year or so, never had too many problems. I will say xp or 2K are MUCH better, but they are 2 different animals. I honestly can't say it was any more difficult to get to run properly than 98, at least that was my experience.

verbatim

I have a mate who uses me and REFUSES to upgrade to xp cause he loves it. He plays all the latest games his processor can handle and records and creates his own music using a professional music capture card.

I thought I read here somewhere that me was just 98 with all the updates installed.

Tebore

ME is a good operating System. It's the only Operating System that will run my K6-500 system with 256 Megs of ram smoothly. Just get all the drivers ready, b4 you install then update it. If you want it to be a bit peppier, just tweak the registry for Mem Management and disk cache. Getting one of those mem management utilities really helps too. And I noticed that any Operating system but especially the one's based on the 98 core are really easy for SpyWare to mess up, formatted 4 times because of Spyware, so watch out. Get a 3rd Party defragger too like Diskkeeper 7.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I've never had very good experiences w/ ME. It liked to crash for no reason on a stable, unoverclocked system (hard locks).

It's basically Win98, but MS decided to crank up the Suck factor a few notches.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
verbatim said:
I have a mate who uses me and REFUSES to upgrade to xp cause he loves it. He plays all the latest games his processor can handle and records and creates his own music using a professional music capture card.

I thought I read here somewhere that me was just 98 with all the updates installed.

that is partly true and partly false. it has pretty much all the same features of win98 but it doesn't have any dos prompt that you can boot to without using a startup disk...

winme is the only os (besides win2k pro) that i have been able to run stable on my parent's amd k6-2 based rig...

i would run win2k on it, but their answering machine program doesn't work with win2k, only win9x...

OP
DocClock aka MadClocker

DocClock aka MadClocker

Thanks for all the replies, But I did notice one thing completely different than 98, is the kernel....98 and se runs on dos7 kernel, and ME runs a dos8 kernel. I found out the hard way, when I tried the upgrade mentioned earlier..it went half way thru the install, and informed me that I didn't have enough disk space, and when I reset the machine, win98 lost it's own kernel, and said something like windows98 cannot run on this version of dos..and it then showed dos8, so that is when I fdisked and rolled out 98 again. 98se is still my fav os...although I still like to boot into dos and play Duke Nukem from time to time. Thanks all, when I run across a big enough hdd, I will load me and try it out, but not on this machine till I'm sure it'll work :)

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I dunno, it's ok I guess needs to be restarted alot so you dont get bsod's :/ it's kinda quick but the bsod problem agian and driver ssometimes dont wanna work right away.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
there are just a few types of computers that seem to love winme. my parent's compaq is one of them. when i was away at school, it was up for a whole semester and worked just the same as it did before. it's not a workhorse or anything (amd k6-2 400) but it seems to love winme.