• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of purchasing a ASUS VG279Q 1080p 144Hz monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Acer predator XB2 240Hz demo at Best Buy was locked at 60Hz, so I decided not to take a risk on the product that was not running it's rated 240Hz in the store.

Yes it was locked and Best Buy was unable to set Acer predator XB2 240Hz demo to anything other than 60Hz. Best Buy said 60Hz is what the manufacture would only allow.

Yes it was locked and Best Buy was unable to set Acer predator XB2 240Hz demo to anything other than 60Hz. Best Buy said that is what the manufacture would only allow.
If that is true, I wonder why...that doesn't make any sense. Maybe its tough to push all the pixels or present it? No idea. But I doubt this thing doesn't work or users should worry it can't reach specs. If I had to bet on it, that is just a Best Buy thing and poorly informed employee.

While its not The Gospel, the couple of YT reviews I've seen didn't have that issue with it.

I'd take the risk. Your're getting it at a brick and mortar anyway, so what is the worst that happens... you return it? GET IT!!! ENjoy it! :)

At Best Buy I tried setting Acer predator XB2 240Hz demo to anything other than 60Hz my self in windows software and it was locked at 60Hz, it would no change. Best Buy said it was special software for the Acer predator XB2 240Hz demo to lock it at 60Hz.

At Best Buy I tried setting Acer predator XB2 240Hz demo to anything other than 60Hz my self in windows software and it was locked at 60Hz, it would no change. Best Buy said it was special software for the Acer predator XB2 240Hz demo to lock it at 60Hz.
Good to know.

It seems like one off the shelf wouldn't be like that though. If you knew they had software to intentionally limit it, why would your first post allude there is a problem with the monitor?? Clearly there isn't, right? The question becomes why would they do that for display models, not that there is an issue with it.

Back