• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of signing off at 20K...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
With more than 5 years crunching behind me, I am thinking about the "end" of SETI #1... 20,000 units is a good score for just a few small machines....

I have yet to set up BOINC, but do have log in information, I think... I guess I am asking if there is any good reason NOT to make the switch to SETI #2 now????... The software is OK it seems; and by the time I hit 20K they'll likely have the splitter-router problems solved...

Maybe it will be a bit like the "old" days (1999-2000), when the client was a bit glitchy and the server unpredictable...

:attn: :attn: :attn:

ggo

Disabled
if you are using setiqueue you will miss it greatly. that is all i can think of as far as reasons not to install the boinc client.

Cuper

Morpheus said:
With more than 5 years crunching behind me, I am thinking about the "end" of SETI #1... 20,000 units is a good score for just a few small machines....

I have yet to set up BOINC, but do have log in information, I think... I guess I am asking if there is any good reason NOT to make the switch to SETI #2 now????... The software is OK it seems; and by the time I hit 20K they'll likely have the splitter-router problems solved...

Maybe it will be a bit like the "old" days (1999-2000), when the client was a bit glitchy and the server unpredictable...

You know I was thinking the same thing. I really want this one last milestone then I am out of seti one.

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
Just My $.02

Morpheus said:

A snapshot of Phase 1 was taken around May 14th and that is the numbers currently being displayed on the info page of users of Phase 2. Now there is considerable debate as to whether another snapshot is going to be taken once Phase 1 is shutdown and no official word has been forthcoming. I looked at this situation and decided that in my case I could be of more value if I dedicated my resources to getting as familiar with Phase 2 as soon as possible in order to have some foundation for answering questions as more of the Team makes the switch to Phase 2. It has at times been a bumpy road, but I must admit that having a new challenge has gotten the old juices flowing like they haven't for a while in the recent past.
At the very least the new credit system keeps you on your toes as you can never be quite sure where you are going to be anytime you check the stats(when the website is so you can check the stats), and like it or not if we are going to continue involvement with SETI this is the way we must go so why not get your feet wet.

SkyHook

Greg M

I don't think I will be coming along for the ride when phase 1 is actually dead. I don't have the time to dedicate to switching over and dealing with the growing pains as BOINC matures.

bbdd

Greg M said:
I don't think I will be coming along for the ride when phase 1 is actually dead. I don't have the time to dedicate to switching over and dealing with the growing pains as BOINC matures.

i feel exactly the same way. i think i am out after phase one shuts down. too much time required to move everything over. pity, i would have liked to see 100,000.

Dk Jedi Allianc

Sound great. 20K is quite an accomplishment. Hope you will find BOINC as interesting as SETI 1.

Mictlan and I are pushing foreward. Mictlan is still on the "classic" while I made the switch. But Mictlan will also switch when we reach 12500. We decided that we wanted that Cert. as well - and we were only 50-100 WU away........