• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of switching to 7, thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kkpudge7

Since I am still in school, I am seriously considering utilizing the $30 deal that microsoft has right now for Windows 7 home premium. I guess my question is, what are the main differences between home premium and say ultimate. I know with xp it was the stuff like remote desktop, and some features that are useful in lab type settings. Would you guys recommend this, or should I just stick with Vista ultimate for now.

johnz

Personally, I'd stick with Vista. There isn't enough of a difference to warrant the switch. $30 is a good price, but you could better spend it somewhere else. If you were to switch, Home or Pro are the versions you'd want. Ultimate is a waste of money for almost everybody.

MS has gone back to the format where each greater version is a superset of the lower version, so Pro will have all the features of Home, plus business centric features. That's better than the Vista way where they mix matched features, and it was a major headache trying to pick the most suitable O/S.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
:burn:

Attachments

• Edition Comparison.jpg
    Edition Comparison.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Windows 7 Editions.jpg
    Windows 7 Editions.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 84
OP
kkpudge7

kkpudge7

wow, thanks for the charts!

I think i'm gonna do it just out of sheer boredom lol. Ive pretty much maxed the clock on my i7 (4.305Ghz), so I need to do something to keep me from buying excessive amounts of new hardware lol...(I know, its a bad addiction lol). My schools stupid mail server has been down all day, so I cant get the activation email. I dunno if I will have time if it doesn't come back up tonight because finals are coming up.

I'll just download it and have something to do over break :)