• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinning out the leftover hardware, what should I keep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

Being faced with the possibility of moving under really crappy circumstances in the near future i am trying to lighten my load should it come to it and i started going through some of my old hardware.
and i am curious if i should keep any of it instead.

Before you read on, not looking to sell or ship. i'll probably make a free ad locally or take it up north to free geek

What i am questioning is:

2x Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 Rev 4.0
1x FX 8320E
1x FX 8350 (boots but bent pins, left in 990FX board)
4x 4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 2133 Cas9
8x 4GB G.Skill 1333 F3-10666CL9S-4GBNT
6x 2GB G.Skill 1333 F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
1x i7 4770
1x Biostar H81MHV3 Ver 7.2
1x Evga GTX 660Ti Sig 2
1x Sapphire Vapor X HD5770
1x Zotac GTX 750 lowpro
1x MSI R7870 Twin Frozor
1x Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce
2x Powercolor R9 270
1x EVGA Classified X58 E760
3x 2GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 2000 Cas9
3x 2GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 2000 Cas9

i7 920 acting as a socket protector on x58

It doesnt sound like much but compared with some of the rest of it thats going way it adds up, plus most of this is sitting in its original boxes.

This is just the stuff i am questioning, theres other things i know i am getting rid of like a Commodore SX64 w/ missing keyboard, an Apple IIe with TONS of add ons and software, an atari computer system, some 386 stuff and lots of socket A and miscellaneous odds and ends.

your trash is my treasure. all that stuff would be top shelf in my home :D

What I do in a situation like this: make a build and give it away. If I can be sure that it's stable and that I can provide atleast basic support and maintenance, then I give it to someone without a computer, or who could use some sort of server. The server thing can get tricky because you often don't have *all* the parts they might need, but folks are usually grateful for any kind of cost reduction.

For desktops, I usually throw some easy to use Linux on the box and try to pick software that will fit the needs of the person. Again most folks are grateful and only want an internet surfing music box anyway.

So.... pretty much free geek. But they don't have that around here :D

oh no i dont consider it trash at all.
I just am trying to lighten my load should i have to move and that some one can get some use out of it. Free Geek is most likely where its going to go

Could also check with your local schools. My HS had an after school club that would do pretty much what Knoober was doing, toss together builds out of older equipment or re-hash used ones then donate them. Essentially a local FreeGeek :D

Back