• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This Blows any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer7

Ok, some of you may have seen my post a few days back titled, "Thermal Compound". If not, here is my backround. I applied a new coat of AS3 and got a little bit on the actual processor, not the die. Anyhow, it didn't like higher voltages. After a good burn in and cleaning, it did like higher voltages. I wanted to take the FSB up slowly, so I took it from 133 to 148. It didn't post and I got long beeps with about 2 second intervals coming from my PC. Damnit. That was (i thought) the end of my 2400+. Anyhow, i took my rig into the computer store I work at. We first swapped it for a old thunderbird. No beep. Swapped if for a 2100+ pally. No beep. Though I was getting power to my cathode and all of my fans, we still thought there could be a slight possibility my board was dead. We swapped it in for a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and tested all three processors. No beep, no boot. We tried it without RAM and videocard. Surely it would give my beeps and yell at me then! Nope. One of my superiors noticed that the thermal grease had started to bubble a little, so we put new AS3 on mine. He did the same thing I did and spilled it all over the processor, so we cleaned it off with goo gone (works well by the way). Anyhow, we are letting it dry overnight before we try again. We even went as far as unplugging all of my IDE cables in case it was a optical drive or hard drive. I even made sure all my screws were in the motherboad mounts to make sure there were no grounding issues. We checked the jumpers, all checked out fine. I mean, I could see that one of my components could be dead, but how could this crap be broken when swapped with new parts!?! Tomorrow I think I will set the computer up on syrofoam to make sure that the back of my mobo isn't touching the metal or anything like that. Any ideas? Thanks.

altec

polka dot ninja
Yeah, I would try to boot out of the case, or swap the metal screws for the plastic mounting ones, and see if it is the board shorting out. I can't think of anything else...maybe you got some AS# on the board somewhere and it is shorting it or something...that is really odd.

altec

polka dot ninja
I dont think a higher vcore would make a shorting problem worse...I mean a shorting board is a shorting board, I don't think that if it is shorting in 4 places or 1 place it really matters.

OP
killer7

killer7

Thanks. I listed the new parts. We swapped out my board for the deluxe version and tried mine, a thunderbird, and a pally. No beep no boot. I guess I'll go ahead and boot out of case tomorrow.

:EDIT: It wasn't a really thick coat, just about paper thin with some allready on the HSF.

penetrecion

Did you at least clear your CMOS before you did all this? (may be a dumb question but folks have looked right past it before)

I get the long beeps all the time... clear CMOS and start over.

OP
killer7

killer7

I went into work today. Turns out the board was what actually died. I set up my rig outside the case and when I shorted pins 7&8, I would get power, but no beep. I tried with four different processors. This is the nice part about working at a computer store, especially when you are only 15 and don't really have a lot of spare compatable parts. Anyhow, one time the board actually sparked at the headers for the power, which is never a good sign about mobo health. I swapped a brand new Deluxe model in and it posted and booted after resetting CMOS. Still operating on my backup Hewlett Packard though, as I won't have enough cash to get the mobo untill next week. Thanks everyone.