• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

this comp is screwed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomchong

my grandma asked me to take a look at her computer, she told me there was something wrong. her computer is a hp pavilion with pIII 1ghz 60gb hd 256mb ram and generic motherboard.
the problems are that this comp is very sluggish opening internet explorer and the online games she plays. eventualy after restarting the computer, most things wont open. you double click on them, you see the hourglass and nothing happens. her icons are also mismatched or distorted. shes got mcaffee virus scan and i used a online scan at housecall.com witch showed no viruses. ran scandisk, defrag, disk cleanup, got rid of extra programs, and still no change, any idea on wtf is wrong with this thing?

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Easiest possible problem: driver problems. Some computers will run terribly if you do not have the proper motherboard drivers installed. So I'd hit the HP web site and see if you can find some drivers. If that doesn't work, a fresh format tends to solve a lot of problems.

So, what I'd do:

1. try reinstalling motherboard drivers
2. run a hard disk check. A bad drive can really mess things up
3. back up your grannys valuable info on a cd and do a nice, clean reinstall. --then make sure you have all the proper drivers, defrag, and see how things work.

OP
tomchong

tomchong

yea, looks like a backup and a clean install of windows is the way to go. i dont think its a driver problem because its an hp computer and theres been no hardware changes since it was bought.