• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This ever been tried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwb27

I'm more than sure someone has already asked/suggested this but has anyone every tried sticking their entire computer into a freezer (ether a fridge freezer or a deep freeze)?

Last edited:

Intrepid

i didn't even read the post and i already knew it waqs the refrigerator idea, just to show it has ben sugested and done. but it;s hard work and a lot must be taken into acount.

Stumpjumper5200

Think about this......

Put stuff in the freezer, and what happens after a little time goes by? Frost. Frost = water. Water = kill your computer.

You could only put in in there for short amounts of time. Plus, I've heard it's dangerous taking a P4 below 20C from an Intel spec sheet.

OP
cwb27

cwb27

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Think about this......

Put stuff in the freezer, and what happens after a little time goes by? Frost. Frost = water. Water = kill your computer.

You could only put in in there for short amounts of time. Plus, I've heard it's dangerous taking a P4 below 20C from an Intel spec sheet.

Agreed, I had considered that, but if steps were taken to elminate a significant amount of moisture from the environment so that it was a 'dry cold' would it work then?

Lt.HMustard

Registered
At fast food places and restaraunts they have big walk in refrigerators that would be perfect to put a computer in, not the freezer part, but the refrigerator part. When I worked at fast food I would imagine the insane OCing I could get if I could put my PC in it whenever I would walk into the "walk in".

Jkasmann

Registered
I had a friend that put his in a refrigerator and put a cup of baking soda in with it to take care of condensation. Might be worth a shot. Also, make sure you use a big freezer (ie, not a minifridge) because his mini didnt do him much good. Need something that has plenty of power to keep the ambient temps low with the computer running...