• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is a good question as to why we don't see better heatsinks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hoot said:

This point is mostly moot and for the same reason, I did not pursue it. Namely, how many OC'ers have access to a decent mill? Documenting and writing it up for publishing as an article would not benefit many people while constituting a lot of work.

Hoot

And if it is not custom machined, you would have a hard sell to get even one manufacturer to make a different heat sink for each die size out there.

On the other hand, perhaps there could be an aftermarket for a shim that picked up the sides of the core.

Like the red in this pic:

I seriously doubt that anyone could effectively (not to mention inexpensively) make this... I guess if you were really hardcore you could make a shim, extend the copper from it to the side, and attach another heatsink to that....getting REALLY excessive though, if you ask me.

WOW this is the prefect thread to exlpain my setup.

basicly what i did was put plastic wrap tightly around the heatsink base, and i poured thermal epoxy all over my processor so that it covered the ceramic from the sides all the way to the core, then i put the heatsink on and let it dry 24 hours.
then i removed the heatsink and took the processor and lapped that thing untill the thermal epoxy was dead flat with the core's top, i mean flat enough that a razor blade didnt catch a line.

my reasoning is that the core of a processor throws heat off in all directions, not just twards the heatsink, so now i can perfectly cool the sides of the core as well as the back of it. because the back of the core tramsmits heat to the ceramic which is now perfectly flat with the core's top. this lets me activly cool 100% of the sides of the core.
hows it working?

on a passivly water cooled athlon (no fans) i am running at 10C over ambient, at 1.95V and 1600mhz 10x320

any questions, email me at [email protected], no spam please:)
ill also check this thread again later,i hope i helped someones noggin spark an idea:)

ohh i forgot to meantion my cpu is stock@ 1.33ghz ahyja"9" t-bird

Last edited:
CryptokiD
Do you have before and after numbers on that thermal epoy mod?

Thinking about trying the epoxy with a copper shim.

Back