• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is insaine!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm... thats pretty cool. i dont see why they insulated the cylinder though, condensation is not an issue that low. the cylinder will freeze over no matter what. i guess it got temps down a little bit.

also, i dont like how they used the commercially built vapochill unit. doesnt really show much skill beyond being able to connect everything. same goes with the custom out-of-house built ln2 cylinder. i guess i just have something against toms hardware.

the overclock is a pretty good one though. i hope to get my phase change system going soon, and take my barton to 2.8ghz, or somewhere about there. i might end up peltier cooling my NB.

also, bowman (at phase-change.com) was working on an autocascade to hit -150 degrees, on a permanent basis. hell probably do something like they are doing there with the NB cooling.

Imagine that, Tom goes where even idiots fear to tread.

I think OC "records" should be required to fold for a week before any claims were made. That would get rid of the liquid nitrogen BS for good.

Tom never fails to underimpress me.:D

I saw that movie about a week ago. (OK maybe a couple days ago) The thing that made me wonder was how they knew when the computer was actually stable. I can't imagine it going over 5 GHZ and still being stable.

Last edited:
Considering they got all custom stuff, Macci could of hit 5.5GHZ stable.

I mean--they got a custom 3.4GHZ p4, custom ASUS mobo. COME ON...

Axalon said:
It says on the last page that the system was stable at 4700 MHz

That was a joke as I read it. To all of you extreme oveclockers.

A 3.4 stable at 4.7. ****, I bet we could do that on air!!

i dont know if they can really keep it stable at all, i mean they gotta keep pouring liquid nitrogen down the tube and they are going to turn out eventually :)

i think ln2 is good for seeing how high you can get a garage sale pentium pro to go, but when you are running more than a 1000 bucks of equipment, its ridiculous, its a waste, and its an insult to those fo us who make systems that have some sort of stamina, and are stable. i wonder why they went through all the effort, i mean they could have just set the multiplyer to 20, the fsb to 400, and then claim that they have a passively cooled PIV that runs at 6ghz. and people would flock to them too.

of course, 4.7gHz stable is not bad, and it still requires something to be able to do. good overclock, but i think that their claim of a record is something to be disputed.

The thing about tomshardware.com that I am not particularly a fan of is the fact that first of all they obtain unlocked chips, not to mention chips that we as consumers cannot even purchase (3.4 GHz). So regardless of how well we try to overclock they have a distinct advantage to "the rest of us".

I understand this is something to be disputed, but I don't believe in calling unstable clock speeds "world records". What's the point of reaching that speed when you cannot even use it? I know, it's just to see how far you can push the processor, I'm glad the only thing your system can do is take a screenshot of a number in WCPUID. Please. If tomshardware wants to impress me, get to 5 GHz and remain stable. Don't ramble off in a video how you have a new world record when people before you have already reached 5.3 GHz.

The Extreme Edition chip is clocked at 3.2 GHz, they were given a 3.4 to work with. The 3.4 GHz chip hasn't been released and Intel is under a bit of pressure especially since AMD is going to release their 3400 on January 6th.

its insane and interesting but i prefer to read an article on overclocking that is useful and practical i.e. it contains all components and cooling materials that are easily acessible to the average joe, so in short i agree with you all

lclark2074, they didn't push anything, they should have had the title say "4.7 GHz overclock almost a new record!" because having a chip go to 5.225 GHz unstable doesn't do anything for anybody. We're being amazed by an escalating number in WCPUID. If you want I can create a program that looks identical to WCPUID and have the clock speed field gradually increase to 10 GHz. Tomshardware.com wasn't doing anything new, it looks more like they were just trying to flaunt their resources, they didn't achieve a world record as people in Japan have already clocked higher if you want to go by the criteria of simply making the CPU stable enough to take a screenshot of WCPUID. That actually angers me about enthusiasts who think they are high and mighty by reaching these unstable clock speeds, it's great that you pushed the chip that far, but you can't do anything with it so please don't bother boasting.

Back