• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is what I predict the next HDD tech to consit of (indepth)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
seadave77 said:
I predict OS's will be lisenced to ISP's of which your computer will do a network boot at 1000 or 10000 Mb/s. No more piracy and the same speed or faster than current HDD technology. Then of course you will save to the network drive at the ISP of which the amount of space will come with the plan like webhosting.
That's a terrible idea. One network hiccup or someone knocking out a data line because they dug in the wrong place and every business in that block that relies on such a system will grind to a hault. Nevermind the data property rights and privacy issues involved, but the internet as a whole is nowhere near reliable enough to serve anyone's operating system needs.
Plus you're talking about pooling EVERYONE'S Read/write loops through a network which translates into constant network traffic and that would mean a huge expense for the ISP.

In the practical realm it makes little or no sense.

usp8riot said:
Also can't wait for fiber-optic cpu technology. No heat issues, unimaginable speeds. :drool:

If i remember corectly.. The speed of light is not that much faster than the speed of electricity. Cant complain about the heat though, :)

Feel free to correct me anyone

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
If i remember corectly.. The speed of light is not that much faster than the speed of electricity. Cant complain about the heat though, :)

Feel free to correct me anyone

Its faster empyrically, but over the distances in a circuit boards its effectively the same.

Back