• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is what the Laing D4 (DangerDen 12V) Pump sounds like

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cathar said:
Wow - talk about digging up an old thread eh?

The newer muffled D4's are substantially weaker than the original loud D4's. In fact, the newer muffled D4's (MCP650) are no longer more powerful than the old Swiftech MCP600 excepting in very low restriction setups.

The newer D4's do still whine to a noticable extent, but it is not as loud as the original pumps. Some people claim that the pumps are quiet but this is, as always, a relative and often subjective thing.

I'll be doing a full comparison of the 12v pumps I have at my disposal as soon as my latest baby arrives. Sorry, I do not have the CSP750 pumps at my disposal, and nor am I particularly interested in them. I have an inherent distrust of anodised aluminium, no matter what a manufacturer says. Anti-corrosion additives also only serve to lower the thermal properties of water (also regardless of what a manufacturer will say), and so I don't personally consider anodised aluminium products with corrosion inhibitor as an acceptable situation - but that's just my opinion - people's are always free to disagree with me.

Here's something I posted at Procooling.com about the new pump I have coming:

Hey Cathar where did you find this pump at? I'm looking to replace my two MCP600s. Iwakis are too big and this pumps looks perfect size wise. Waiting for your results and hopefully they turn out well.

Cathar said:
Wow - talk about digging up an old thread eh?

The newer muffled D4's are substantially weaker than the original loud D4's. In fact, the newer muffled D4's (MCP650) are no longer more powerful than the old Swiftech MCP600 excepting in very low restriction setups.

I got a D4 from dangerden with 3/4" barbs, but they had to have it sent directly from Laing. Is it a "new' weaker model?

who here could know ?
why not ask who you bought it from ?
the pump has a specific part # on the label

BillA said:
who here could know ?
why not ask who you bought it from ?
the pump has a specific part # on the label

you and cathar spring to mind... ;)

I bought it through dangerden, and quite frankly they don't know what they're doing there, they sent variations of the wrong pump twice before I got the one I ordered. Swiftech didn't have it yet when I ordered, and anyways I wanted the 3/4" version.

the part number on the unit is 69900, model number is D4-34/810N, sn is 5635172

It does seem a little loud (which I expected) which might mean it is the original version cathar was talking about.

BillA said:
date of mfgr ? must be before 6/04 - but I've no idea how long before

My strong D4's are labelled 1/04. I think the intermediate muffled pumps were made starting at 3/04.

So basically 1/04 or earlier to be safe if you wanted the strong ones.

ehhh i'll save the money to get ur waterblocks instead. hate to waste money and get the wrong pump.

Hydor L35 or The DD4...man...I just don't know. I want the best...both would fit in my case perfect...both have great reviews....however...i hear that people will still just take the DD4 over the Hydor L35....

Heat wise..i'll be using the Thermochill 120.3 Radiator...its huge....so i don't think that pump heat is really a bit issue.....

noise...eh..i'm coming from a Tornado 80mm fan...and anything quieter than say...54-43 db would be pretty damn quiet to my ears...

I'm using 1/2 inch Tygon tubing...and the Criticool WaterPlant reseviour...the reseviour will be right in line with the pump...like you could almost connect ( and i probably will) about 2 inches of tubing between the reseviour and the pump...I guess in this case I'd be getting good flow from reseviour to pump right?

Still the benefits of using the Hydor L35..dependable...has made a name for itself...small..effecient..quiet...good flow rate...I can plug this bad boy into my aux plug in on my Vantec Stealth PSU 520watt.....so it will also turn on with my computer.

DD4 has earned bragging rights...small...a bit more heat comes out than they hyodr L35 but nothing to be iffy about....no noise...good Max Head room......uses a 12volt PSU molex connector....

I do plan on adding a VGA cooler in the not so distant future....maybe...just maybe a NB cooler. I just want to make sure that I get the best. My system will be setup for hi-flow....only thing I can see slowing it down would be the Thermochil 120.3 radiator...like i said before..its huge...can hole 3 120mm fans and use the other side for mounting or even use up to 6 120mm fans....

Opinions? I really need to make a choice.

Please tell me which one out of the 2...the DD4 or the Hydor L35 and why??

thanks!

i have the old d4 pump and makes a pretty annoying high pitches squeeel, but i have it hooked up to a rheobus and it makes the sounds much more managable. but a single channel does not apply the full amount of power it can handle. is it possible to hook it up to 2 channels of the rheobus in parrallel if the voltages are the same? will it damage the pump?

Cathar said:
The newer D4's do still whine to a noticable extent, but it is not as loud as the original pumps. Some people claim that the pumps are quiet but this is, as always, a relative and often subjective thing.

I'd say! The whine is driving me mad (not to metion the missus) :rolleyes: (i have the "muffled" version)

I noticed two pins emerging from the pump itself. They're like the ones on a Hdd. They are not metioned in the manual. Do you know what they are for?

Cathar said:
I'll be doing a full comparison of the 12v pumps I have at my disposal as soon as my latest baby arrives.

Hows that coming along? :burn:

I think he has a thread on it over at procooling.com. Seemed like that March pump was decent, but not quite up to par with the D4, abeit a tad quieter. I dunno for sure though, ask him.

Don K said:
Hows that coming along? :burn:

It isn't at present. Absolutely swamped with my real job, house renovations, teething babies, and waterblocks where I can squeeze them into my (*laugh*) "spare time" (*cough*).

i have the newer MCP650, well same as the d4. It has a noticeable whine to it. i can hear it when i'm on my bed about 8 ft away from my pc.

Honestly i think if you were used to dead silence, the whine might get a lil annoying. Still i prefer it over the noise air cooling. once i get going doing something i never notice it.

I picked up a MCP650 a couple weeks ago. Great performance, but its whine sounds like a dremel (though not as loud). I'm used to Eheim 1250's on foam rubber, which are dead silent compared to the MCP650.

I'll probably use the MCP650 in an external box and double-box the pump to quiet it down.

I have a D4, the new muffled one. It does whine, it is audible, but I find I'm able to filter it out much better then an 80mm fan, so it doesn't bother me that much. I did notice while leak testing that the D4 is MUCH louder if there is any amount of air stuck inside the pump. Once the air purges itself from the pump it quiets down. I'll take the noise for the ability to fit it in the hard drive rack of my Super LANboy.

pump.jpg

socket, i remember the same to be true of my mcp650. it was sooo loud when i initially set up the system that it actually had me regretting the whole w/c thing. Once i got the system completely bled it quieted alot.

Is there a pump alternative that will run on the pc's 12v and be quieter?

legendosiris said:
socket, i remember the same to be true of my mcp650. it was sooo loud when i initially set up the system that it actually had me regretting the whole w/c thing. Once i got the system completely bled it quieted alot.

Is there a pump alternative that will run on the pc's 12v and be quieter?

MCP600

Back