• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This makes no sense!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WheaT

Ok, many of you have probably already read my troubles with my graphix, and my overclock. I am so confused right now and have NO IDEA where to go next. This is my situation.....

I have a 9800 pro which i recently flashed to xt bios. I have a p4p800 dlx and a 2.8c chip. I have been able to oc this chip to 3.5 STABLE. Were talking 24 hours of prime 95 and seti running in the backround. The problem comes in here. For whatever reason, when I have my comp oced manually, i get tears in my graphics. Now I dont believe these to be artifacts from the graphics card, because I can run ati tool on find artifacts for an hour and it doesnt find anything. Whenever I enter CS i get tons of little flashing spikes that shoot around my screen. Also in 3dmark03 during the CPU TESTS ONLY do I also experience the same problems. Throughout the rest of the tests it seems fine. Now the Kicker.....

If i have the computer AI overclocked useing asus's crap program I can oc it with that to 20% which is 3.36 on my system, and I dont experience ONE of these flashes, where if I have my computer manually oced to that speed they are there to hand me a spoon so i can eat my own rear end. I just dont know what to do next. This doesnt make any sense to me at all. BTW this problem was happening BEFORE i flashed my card to XT bios also. Was hoping that might fix the prob for whatever hopeless reason.

These are the bios settings, and in my sig below you can see my system specs.

fsb 250
vcore 1.55
vdimm 1.85
agp 1.6(also tried 1.5 initially)
agp is locked at 33/66
ram is 1:1, 3.4.4.8 8burst
mode is set to standard(tried turbo)
ram acceleration is enabled.

Im just soo confused and lost. I would really appreciate any help anybody could offer. Im about to take a hammer to my pc. ( not really, just feel that way. If i did that could be considered murder :p)

Heres a link to see kind of whats happening. http://www.digitalwheat.com/12032/index.html

WheaT said:
Ok, many of you have probably already read my troubles with my graphix, and my overclock. I am so confused right now and have NO IDEA where to go next. This is my situation.....

I have a 9800 pro which i recently flashed to xt bios. I have a p4p800 dlx and a 2.8c chip. I have been able to oc this chip to 3.5 STABLE. Were talking 24 hours of prime 95 and seti running in the backround. The problem comes in here. For whatever reason, when I have my comp oced manually, i get tears in my graphics. Now I dont believe these to be artifacts from the graphics card, because I can run ati tool on find artifacts for an hour and it doesnt find anything. Whenever I enter CS i get tons of little flashing spikes that shoot around my screen. Also in 3dmark03 during the CPU TESTS ONLY do I also experience the same problems. Throughout the rest of the tests it seems fine. Now the Kicker.....

If i have the computer AI overclocked useing asus's crap program I can oc it with that to 20% which is 3.36 on my system, and I dont experience ONE of these flashes, where if I have my computer manually oced to that speed they are there to hand me a spoon so i can eat my own rear end. I just dont know what to do next. This doesnt make any sense to me at all. BTW this problem was happening BEFORE i flashed my card to XT bios also. Was hoping that might fix the prob for whatever hopeless reason.

These are the bios settings, and in my sig below you can see my system specs.

fsb 250
vcore 1.55
vdimm 1.85
agp 1.6(also tried 1.5 initially)
agp is locked at 33/66
ram is 1:1, 3.4.4.8 8burst
mode is set to standard(tried turbo)
ram acceleration is enabled.

Im just soo confused and lost. I would really appreciate any help anybody could offer. Im about to take a hammer to my pc. ( not really, just feel that way. If i did that could be considered murder :p)

Heres a link to see kind of whats happening. http://www.digitalwheat.com/12032/index.html

mobo

bump. I can see 45 people have viewed this thread. I dont care how ridiculous these idea s might be. Im going to try everything before i order a new mb!!

Well must be nobody has any idea what this could be. Guess I get to drop the cash on a new MB. Think I am going to try swapping components with a buddy of mine first.

first, you don't need to up the agp voltage. it could very well be contributing to the problem.

that voltage is for the agp SLOT itself, not the actual card. you would only need to raise this voltage if you were trying to raise your agp speed to something like 70mhz or more. you've got yours locked at 66mhz soo....

the specs you are seeing sound just like any other artifact when it comes to video cards. does it do the same thing when runnin the card at stock clocks? i would think not..

if it does, then i would suspect the video card. perhaps the hsf needs to be making better contact twith the core?

some people find that atitool isn't all its cracked up to be when it comes to finding artifacts. i'd say overclock the old way, by upping the core a bit at a time, and testing for artifacts with a 3dmark run. when you find its limit, drop it down to stock and do the same with you memory.

It still did it at stock speeds, on stock bios. I dont get any artifacting whatsoever in any of the other tests in 3dmark BUT the CPU tests. Even if my card is stocked out I still get these tears with a manual overclock. Thats why it is soo confusing.

I also thought it was the graphics card for awhile too, but then i tried it at stock and I was still seeing problems. It seems its attatched to my overclock somehow. Im starting to think its my Mobo. A buddy of mine has almost the same setup except a p4c and he doesnt have any problems.

Back