• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This mobo is a mystery to me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi, I have a question before I go and get all the new Ryzen Zen2 parts.

I've been researching mobos for a while now, and really I can't figure out any difference between the entry level X570 boards from Asus, GB and MSI, they are all pretty much identical. This is fine, and upgrading to upper tier is a HUGE increase in price, so I'm not considering this.

But I found this board, only a few bucks over the entry level, yet it seems to have wifi and bluetooth and all kinds of goodies. But it's not listed anywhere on any mobo list of x570 reviews, it's like it's missing in action.

Is there some hidden problem with this board, cuz in order to get everything it has to offer you need to go to the upper tier.

Here is the board: https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16813119197?Description=x570&cm_re=x570-_-13-119-197-_-Product

Asus TUF Gaming Wifi X570

I would love to hear if anyone has anything to say about this board. I'll be getting the 3700x to go with it, want to run an m.2 drive, and want to have the latest usb3.2 slots etc. and everything else. Is there any reason NOT to get this? To go with the entry level, or spend more for high end?

I don't care about RGB at all either, so if there is a board out there that is better than this, even without wifi and bluetooth, missing RBG, I'd be fine with that.

Thank you.

Um, yeah, thanx, that at least tells me that it's the same board as the entry except with the wireless chip. Totally worth it, but I wonder am I going to give up anything by going with this rather than any board that is $50 above that? From what I see, this board has a great VRM, loads of outputs, two m.2 (should I use the one connected to CPU or chipset?), I just don't see what point there is in getting a "better" board, but want to hear opinions.

Basically, my simple question is, how does the above board, the TUF Gaming, lack over something like the Asus Prime-Pro which is $50 more but doesn't even have wifi or bluetooth. What does the latter offer that the former doesn't have to justify such an increase, I don't get it, everything seems very much the same (although I do love the look of the Prime-Pro). Similarly, what does the Prime-P lack to be so much cheaper!

I wish it was like buying a car trim, where any trim beyond base you choose tells you what is added from the base, and if anything goes missing or is replaced. Trying to pick a mobo is damn tough, by far the toughest thing to do in a new build that will last years.

If you follow this link, there's a dropdown for all the x570 boards they've reviewed (quite a lot in there).
The last page is an overview of all of them, check that out and you can compare them somewhat using their chart.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

A lot of the time, the added cost goes towards better components (higher quality audio, nics, etc) or added features (wifi, rgb headers, extra m.2 slots, etc).

AH!! Now we're talking, now I can compare all the same tier mobos with each other.

One more question, so I don't have to start a thread. Some mobos say things like, type-c front connector etc. Does that mean that I would have to specifically pick a case that supports that? Is it as simple as checking what front connectors the mobo comes with and then picking a case that has the front connectors? I'm looking at the Phanteks P300, it's the cheapest that comes with everything I think, but I really wanted a H500 or Meshify C but I think too pricey.

Yes type-C headers are specifically to type-C cables, so your case would need to have it for you to use it. No harm however to have it and not use it. I think it is a handy feature though, given the likely shift to more type-c to type-c cables (at least my pixel 3a came one).

Regarding motherboards, as has been said it's all about the features. The other consideration is how many cores you will be running, as well as expected overclocking performance (there isn't much margin for these CPUs, so unless you're benching it's not a high priority). The higher core counts will likely require more expensive motherboards to effectively reach their maximum boosting potential.

Is it just me or is the TUF Gaming a complete steal? I mean it is a real mismatch to others that are more expensive. Here are two, the GB is $20 more yet it has way less features.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=13-145-159,13-119-197

I even compared the Asus to the $100 more expensive MSI Carbon wifi and even then I saw no difference at all, it's really confusing.

Before I make the final decision, is there ANY reason NOT to get the Asus TUF Gaming WIFI, is it missing anything (except that it doesn't have ax wifi, that is all I can see, but is fully featured otherwise, including 8 usb 3 ports, 2 x16 pci-e, 2 m.2 etc.)

Thanks.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Here is the Carbon wifi compared to the TUF Gaming, with the latter 80CAD less, and for the life of me I can't figure out why that is, there has to be something about the Asus that is lower quality or something, I'm actually paranoid about getting it now, but for the price it seems great.

Yeah it appears to be. You can check out this video

Only disadvantage is realtek lan vs intel I believe. Unless you want to spend $300 for stronger VRM, or plan to use LAN (in which case Intel lan is regarded to be superior). I'm not super clear on if the VRM on the Tuf is good enough to say overclock a 16 core chip. But it does have the same VRM as every other Asus board between $200 and $300 (e.g. the Strix boards).

If you're only planning to run 8 cores, there are some even less expensive x470 and b450 boards, if you don't require PCIe 4.0. Keeping in mind that current and even next generation GPUs probably won't saturate 3.0. Certain use cases do benefit from the increased bandwidth for the nvme but not so much gaming.

edit: of course most of this is based on overviews, as in depth reviews for the numerous boards are not yet available, so mileage may vary.

A lot of the time, the added cost goes towards better components (higher quality audio, nics, etc) or added features (wifi, rgb headers, extra m.2 slots, etc).

You're paying for better audio, better nic, better wifi controller, more ports, more rgb, etc.
All of this is in the link I posted above.
The x570 boards are all going to perform similarly, pick a board that has the features you want, the look you want, in the price range you want.

If your case doesn't have built-in type C USB ports you may be able to add in a drive bay adapter that does.

I have one final two part question on this board before I dive in for the purchase.

Firstly, the one difference I do see is pci-e 4.0 x16, the lower tier, including this one, says 1x only, so does that mean only the top pci-e slot is 4.0? But then if you read on, it does say it's actually 2xpci4.0 but not at x16? Higher tier boards say right off the bat, pci 4.0 x16 x2 (two slots), whereas the TUF says only one, but reading on it says it has one pcie4.0 on the cpu and one on the x570 chipset, but the latter locked at x4? This is indeed confusing, since it says that it can run crossfire no problem, or two video cards.

Secondly, I'm also wondering about the wifi/bt module. If that is the "only" difference between the TUF, and say, the Prime-P, and it's $50CAN in price, wouldn't it be better to just get the P and then get an AX pci-e x1 card that is even superior? I've seen AX cards with BT5.0 on ebay for $20 with great antenna, and for $50 you can really get the best of the best. That being said, the Prime-P does not seem to have everything the TUF has, so it's not just about the wifi module.

EDIT: Whoa, just found a mobo that actually gives the above a run for its money, this one: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...m_re=x570_steel_legend-_-13-157-894-_-Product

ASRock Steel Legend. And it says 2x pci-e 4.0 x16, for $10 more.. hmm. never had an ASRock.

Are you planning to run two video cards? If not the lane reduction in the lower PCI-e slot is a moot point. Most of us would recommend spending more money on one better video card than two lesser ones. The overall result is better in that not all titles will play well with two cards, plus less heat and clutter in the case.

I'm reviewing the TUF Gaming WIfi now.. its a solid board overall, really. Ends up a better deal than the Aorus Elite at the same price point. Though the Aorus Elite Wifi is supposed to be only $10 more (and I think it looks better). I don't like the TUF design really. But it has USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C out back, whereas the Elite has a front panel 3.1 g2 header only (TUF doesn't have a header).

I would stay away from multiple GPUs... unless you are running 4K120Hz and require the horsepower. I agree with trents 99%.

Where we differ is a minor point... but that x4 slot is PCIe 4.0 x4. This means its like 3.0 x8... which shows negligible (2%) differences in performance (and that is with a 2080 Ti).
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-pci-express-scaling/6.html

Back