• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thought I would build this time. What do you think???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bambamshere

I have always bought a new computer from a big box store. This time I thought I would get the satisfaction of building one. Thought I would ask what everone thought. Before I bought the parts.

CPU
Amd
FX-8350 Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache

Mother Board
Asus
SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 w/ DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI

Video Card
eVGA
GeForce GTX 760 SuperClocked 4GB PCI-E w/ ACX Cooling, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

Case
Cooler Master
CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0 Version) Mid Tower, Black

Cooling
NZXT
Kraken X60 280mm All-In-One CPU Liquid Cooler

Memory
Patriot
Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition DDR3 16GB (2 x 8GB) PC3-12800 Dual Channel Kit

Keyboard & Mouse
Genius
KMH 100 3-in-1 GX Gaming Combo Kit w/ Imperator Keyboard, Maurus Mouse and Lychas Headset

DVD Writer
Samsung
SH-224DB 24x DVD-Writer SATA, Black, OEM

O/S
Microsoft
Windows 8.1 Home Premium x64 (64-bit) SP1 DVD - OEM

I have New 650W Power Supply from other System and a 1TB WD Hard Drive.

Will upgrade hard drive when I can.

So what do you think.

Last edited:
No problem. What's the make and model of the "New 650W PSU"?

Exact model of the RAM?

Should have said ram instead of memory

Part #: PV316G160C9KBL
Patriot Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition 1600MHz DDR3 16GB (2 x 8GB) PC3-12800 Dual Channel Kit

Power Supply
OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Cool, the power supply is pretty good.
Timings and voltage are good on the RAM. If you're just gaming, you could save a chunk of cash and go 2x4GB.

Make sure to get a couple of extra fans for the case, the FX series needs good ventilation.

what will be the main use for this pc?

If you plan on gaming you might want to look into a Intel 4670k because the 9370 is a 220 watt chip that is extremely power hungry when overclocked. The 4670k tends to run games a little faster and has a better memory controller.

If you intend to use it for video editing the 9370 is definitely a good choice because it can take advantage of multiple threads.

Actually the cooling I went with has a nice radiator on it with 2 140mm fans on it plus the case also comes with 2 120 inch fans on front and back. I like this CPU but until the time I buy it it could change but want amd don't want intel. For some reason all the intel CPU I have ever had have seemed to cause me problem except 1 or 2. I would like to say 9370 is firm but not sure yet. I still have 2 days before I start buying this stuff. So I have also been looking at a 8350 and the 8320. But it will happen in 2 days

Cooling
NZXT
Kraken X60 280mm All-In-One CPU Liquid Cooler
140mm x 2 = 280mm

Last edited:
It's your money just thought I would point out that it is a little efficient for gaming and general task.

I think the 8350 is a better buy since it will overclock almost exactly the same as a 9370 from what I have seen around here. I think the 9XXX line was targeted for people who don't know how to or want to overclock while still getting the same performance as an overclocked 8350. That is just my take on it and I maybe wrong.

I never mentioned a heat issue with the 9370 and cooler you selected. It should work just fine my thing is the amount of power the 9XXX line uses... And I do know that the kraken you selected has a 280mm radiator no need to put 140x2=280mm. Anyways the cm 690 2 looks to only support up to 240mm radiators unless I can't see it clearly on my phone. If it doesn't you could always buy 140 to 120mm slim fan adapters so you could mount it using the 120mm fan holes, or just mod it yourself.

Last edited:
I have decided against getting the 9370 because it is a power hungry monster lol and go for 8350 instead little cheaper. Now for the case it comes with one 140mm on top and supports 2 120mm or 140mm fans. It took a little bit to find but at computer parts store I go to a lot has all the specs for the case.

So just got home from computer store. Had everything put into the computer but it would post. I had spent 36 hrs trying to figure out what was wrong. The computer parts store was the ones that installed the CPU and Ram into the board. Which after that they test it. Well this time they half did the job and didn't test anything so ram was put in wrong slots and and the bios which they were supposed to put new version in wasn't done either. I could have done bios upgrade myself but when you think they have done it and haven't kind of screws you up.

So just got home from computer store. Had everything put into the computer but it would post. I had spent 36 hrs trying to figure out what was wrong. The computer parts store was the ones that installed the CPU and Ram into the board. Which after that they test it. Well this time they half did the job and didn't test anything so ram was put in wrong slots and and the bios which they were supposed to put new version in wasn't done either. I could have done bios upgrade myself but when you think they have done it and haven't kind of screws you up.

I would go get my money back.

Back