• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[THOUGHTS] $4k on one system or many small ones for...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Okay reading over some recent threads here about people setting up mini farms for various things i have now been thinking.. (theres a first!)

Originally i was going to go an buy a new dual opteron system / PCie (dual NVIDIA SLI') etc.

Now i have a gaming system i am putting together with an x800PRO /2.6C /1g pc440 / 2 x 250g SATA drives [deal on ebay] so even if i did do the dual opteron i would not need that type of graphics in it as i will now have this gaming rig.

I am slowly getting back into my 3d desing days using bryce / poser and such and what i am now thinking is to buy 4 mini systems which will basically be a mini render farm. (on top of the several coomputers in our home office i can use as well so now a 12 hour render may trake 2 hours :D)

I have this nice little microatx case which will be my media system with likely these specs:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311477

So, would i be better to say make 4 of the above systems maybe change the mobo - and have 4 x mobile 2500+ / 2600+ - overclocked of course - they would run me about $500 each - as opposed to a dual opteron 250 / 2g of ram / serial ATA drives - a PCIe top end ati or NVIDIA card.

thoughts, feedback, opinions all welcome!!!

daba

Up to you. I'd go for less systems out of practicality (my view is biased because I can barely utilize one computer, let alone four), but if you want to build a FAH farm go ahead!

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

I was also now thinking to in the future i could sell the systems slowly if i needed :) and down here it would be easier to sell the smaller systems then one large one.

The main reason i was going to buildthe dual was it was also going to act as a gaming rig - but now i will havea seprate gaming rig so the dual purpose then would be for work and 3d design / photoshopping. - but i can now just use my current work system a p4 2.4 @ 2.7 / 2g pc2700 system.

This is what i priced out @ newegg so far

(i figured before buying all 4 buy one system - see how it goes and then get the other 3 - unless people can convince me it wouold be better to buy the dual opteron system :d)

thoughts?
  • 4 x IN WIN Black Micro ATX Slim Chassis Case with 180W Power Supply, Model "BT566.180BFU2A"
  • 4 x Kingston ValueRAM Dual Kits 184 Pin 256MB(128MBx2) DDR PC-3200
  • 4 x ABIT "VA-10" KM400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL
  • 4 x AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2600+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor - OEM
  • 4 x Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only (40g was $3 cheaper so went with 80g)
  • 4 x Thermaltake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition, Opti-fin technology, made of All Copper
total cost : $1,367.76 +$ 82.24 for 2 day fedex shipping.

Also now i just found out out company is putting a T1 line into our home office :) so i could even use the system as game servers :D

[email protected]

Looks pretty good. I would get the 4 separate systems instead of one super system. You have much more options and freedom.

If you really plan on selling those though, I have to tell you- IT IS A PAIN IN THE *** to sell used computers. Especially if they aren't either too old nor new. Most people either go for a really cheap system, or a really good one... the ones in the middle are left out.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
As far as usability I found that network rendering allowed me to accomplish more at once since I could start the render on the cluster of machines and then use my main for games. That way my one-and-only computer wasn't held hostage rendering.

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

Z^ yup that to

and me being in Costa Rica - selling these system in the future if i ever were would be easy - considering i just sold 5 systems in the last month :D all used.

well, looks like that may be the route i am going to go

Any suggestions or thoughts on the actual hardware i choose? the MicroATX board i looked in icould not find any that had a multiplyer adjustment - but i can lock acp/pci and move the FSB - i do want to O/C these system :D