• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts about motherboard design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Captain Slug said:

Then where would the savings be? SBCs require heavy integration and are essentialy just compressed motherboards that have more PCB layers. This might also introduce issues with supporting heavier heatsinks on an expansion card.

No, there is plenty of room on a full lenghth card. If you remove the space for the expansion slots a full lenghth pci is bigger than an micro-atx board.

Yah Im aware of the increased weight. But if this was to be made a reality the SBC slot has to be made in a different way.

Landfill space and hazardous waste disposal?

Ah, that's an aspect that doesn't crop up here very often ...

Hmm, well, your addon chipset / chip card (with its own capacitors and power adapters, etc.) would still need to be swapped out (and become landfill fodder), and I woudl imagine that much of what's hazardous is involved in those components. I believe it's the guts of the mobo that's hazardous, and it's those very guts that would still need to be swapped.

Very interesting point, though! -- Paul

well if you dispose of your used components the way your supposed to, the companies salvage alot of the components and recycle the boards. the silicon on a mobo is worth more than all of the metals combined. granted some stuff wil enevitablity wind up in the dump. as for me, i uasuly hold on to old computer stuff to play with it. i still have my mobo and proc. from my 486 sx33. if you don't want to keep it, sell it. think ebay :):)

Another reason that would make it more difficult is the BIOS. Every expansion card would need some firmware attached to it. flashing every firmware would be alot more time consuming than just one BIOS.

-DarkArctic

DarkArctic said:
Another reason that would make it more difficult is the BIOS. Every expansion card would need some firmware attached to it. flashing every firmware would be alot more time consuming than just one BIOS.

-DarkArctic

?? Why would the BIOS be different than for any other ordinary PC? Hmm you just read the first post, didnt you?

If the only main point is computer waste, the only thing in a PC that doesn't get recycled instantly is the PCB. But they are shipped to companies that melt them back down again to be used in other products

on a similer topic, i think intel and AMD should go back to the "one board fits all" of the pentiums. it would be soooo much easier to convert. and comparisons would be much easier and accurate.

Back