• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thoughts of sn41g2..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acesea

hello everyone. this is going to be the second shuttle i will be putting together. even though this model has the nforce board, it wont be doing much gaming- its mainly for office work. I will couple it with an athlon xp 2000, a 40gig maxtor, and 2x256 ram.

Ive got two questions however:
first being, the reason i really want to get this sff case is because the onboard gf440mx has two vga outputs. what i want to do is get two lcd monitors and make use of both of them. will the dual vga outputs be fine for this? will the video card be able to handle it?

Also, i dont want to do any ocing on this case. So since the proc. is running at 133, and fsb will be 266, should i just get pc2100 ram? i read some reviews recently that mentioned that when running athlons non asynchronously, say a ddr333 for this case which runs only runs at ddr266 would worsen the performance. So does that mean that i should NOT use ddr333+ memory, or does that mean that i COULD but i should just keep the fsb ratio 1:1?
Thanks for the help.
Let me know.

PS. just out of curiousities sake, reason im thinking of doing dual lcd is because the samsung 152t (note: 15in) sells for $320, but the 172t (note:17in) sells for $600. I dont know if the 17kn is worth twice the price, so i could essentially make use of 2 15s for the same price. What do you think?

gahdzila

Also, i dont want to do any ocing on this case. So since the proc. is running at 133, and fsb will be 266, should i just get pc2100 ram?
No overclocking=get stock speed RAM

PC2100 should be fine, and will almost certainly be cheaper than PC2700. You will probably want to run your ram synchronously, as running asynchronous yields very little benefit...some testers have even mentioned a performance DECLINE with running ram asynchronous.

If you think you may upgrade the processor at some point in the future (to a 166/333 fsb proc), then maybe you would do better to go ahead and get the faster ram now...you can always run it slower (ie synchronous...at 133/266) than its stated rating.