• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on a new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cliffboss

Well since boxing day is jsut around the corner and I haev finished school I think it is about time for a new computer :)

My budget si around the $2000 cnd

Build 1:
Intel Core i7 920 D0
OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3
ASUS P6T X58 ATX
ASUS Radeon HD 5870
Power Supply ??
Case ??
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB
OCZ Vertex ???

Build 2:
Intel Core i5 750
ASUS P7P55D Pro
The rest of the parts would be the same as the above

Now for a few question:
1) LGA1366 or LGA1156.
The LGA1156 is looking a tad better for price/performance viewpoint

2) If to go with the LGA1156, is it worth getting an i7 variant or is the i5 good enough. Also what is the best amount of ram to get so it would be dual channel

3) I am thinking 750watt psu should be plenty. I don't see a crossfire/sli setup anytime in the future

4) OCZ vertex anygood? mabe this? Corsair’s P128 SSD

technojunkie180

A 750w power supply will do just fine for you. Look into Corsair for your psu, they make the most reliable psus out there.

If I had your budget and was looking into building a new rigs I would definitely go LGA 1366. It's the newest socket type and therefore will last you the longest.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I love price/performance and finding good deals on respected hardware. Paying less and OCing for a "free" boost is how I go about it.

I would go with LGA1156 for price/performance, but LGA1366 is better (especially in multi-GPU setups). I just don't see a reason to go LGA1366 if you're just going to use 1 GPU with no plans of adding more.

...I would definitely go LGA 1366. It's the newest socket type and therefore will last you the longest.

LGA1156 was released after LGA1366...
As for the upgrade paths for the two sockets, I'm not completely sure which will outlast the other. LGA1366 will have 6-core CPUs in the future, but if 4 cores aren't even being used to their potential, then what's the point?

Rainbow Six

Registered
I would go with an AMD Phenom II 965. It's slightly less powerful than the i7 920 but that change alone will save you about $100. Changing the motherboard to an AM3 supported one will save you some money as well.