• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Threadripper 1900x and non-vetted RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
My machine is locking up a lot lately. I have an AMD 399 chipset with a 1st gen Threadripper 1900. I'm using this RAM
(Crucial Ballistix Sport AT)
on this board
(ASRock X399 Taichi)
this cooler with dual fans
(Noctua NH-U14S)

I also have a 512 GB Samsung 970 NVMe and a 1TB HP 950 NVMe installed and a few optical drives.
I also have an EVGA 3080Ti and an EVGA 3060.

The machine will lock up tight at various times. Note that I fold with the machine 24/7.

I know that the RAM is not fully compatible. The first issue showed when I bought a matching kit of RAM for 8 x 8GB = 64GB RAM. The Board just didn't like it. So I put one 4 x 8 kit in my drawer for future use and have been running the other 4 x 8 GB kit since 2019.

Steps taken:
I recently moved this system from one case to another. I'm using a different power supply so that isn't it.
While I did not reseat the HSF on the CPU, the cooling configuration is completely different. I'll re-do the HSF. Could that be it?

I'm thinking of getting AMD compatible RAM while it's reasonably cheap yet. For bragging rights only I'd like to get 8 x 8GB = 64 which is half of the 128 that this board maxes out at.

Last edited:
Back