• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*Thud* Hit a brick wall, and i need some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loomy

Registered
Over the last day i have almost got my computer running stable at 3.6 Ghz with a q6600 CPU and an Asus p5e Mother board.

The settings im using are:
FSB: 400
Multiplier: 9
VCore: 1.45625

With those settings i am running stable in Prime 95 but i get a blue screen after about 15 min. Is there any way to get around this brick wall, or should i lower my expectations?

EDIT: Ive been having the same symptoms since the Vcore was 1.4

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
As you probably already know, not all quads are created equal. Bump the Vcore to 1.5v and keep an eye on your temp's using CoreTemp, and while running the latest version of Prime (which will automatically stress all 4 cores). Post your temp's while all 4 cores are running at 100% load... chances are that your temp's under load will be between 70 and 80C if not higher, depending on ambient and the type of cooling you're using (I'm assuming your chip is air cooled).

You can find the latest version of Prime95 v25.6 here...

Prime95 25.6
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps

... The x64 version filename is p64v256.zip, and the x86 filename is p95v256.zip

... and the latest version of CoreTemp here:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

gottcha

Loomy i have the same chip and board. could you post your other settings? I have managed to get up to 3.4 stable. i hit i wierd wall between 3.2 amd 3.3 nothing i could do would get me stable 12hours prime. so i jumped up to 3.4 and all is well. Maybe try going just above 3.6 like 9x401-410.

OP
Loomy

Loomy

Registered
Well, My board wont post with the voltage set to 1.5. Ill try to set it a little higher later tonight, but my ram craps out if it gets much faster than 800mhz.

That brings up another question i have, How can i stop my mobo from changing my ram speed when i change my FSB?

gottcha

9x400
vcore under load @ 1.46
fsb term voltage 1.38
north bridge @ 1.41
cpu pll voltage @ 1.50

leave memory at stock clock

those are my settings so far but temps got to high.

i also did the pencil mod which helped alot.

:beer: