• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti 500 unstable at 150 FSB, AGP causing this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

I have a BE6-II Rev. 2.0 running 512 MB ram at 150, 2-2-2. A Radeon 8500 runs fine on this setup. But last night I swapped in my Ti 500 and I keep getting lockups after a couple of minutes with IL2-Sturmovik and Serious Sam SE.

Since this board only has a 2/3rd AGP divider my AGP bus is 100 mhz. Could this be the problem?

Anybody else able to run a Ti 500 at high FSBs?

I tried doing a fresh install of my OS and reinstalling video drivers to no avail. I even get the lockups running the Ti 500 at default speed.

Maybe my SDRAM is on the ragged edge and contributing to this too.

RainMaQer

3D God
Clevor said:
I have a BE6-II Rev. 2.0 running 512 MB ram at 150, 2-2-2. A Radeon 8500 runs fine on this setup. But last night I swapped in my Ti 500 and I keep getting lockups after a couple of minutes with IL2-Sturmovik and Serious Sam SE.

Since this board only has a 2/3rd AGP divider my AGP bus is 100 mhz. Could this be the problem?

Anybody else able to run a Ti 500 at high FSBs?

I tried doing a fresh install of my OS and reinstalling video drivers to no avail. I even get the lockups running the Ti 500 at default speed.

Maybe my SDRAM is on the ragged edge and contributing to this too.

With my P3B-F (440bx chipset) I could only get my TI200 to 89Mhz agp bus before it would cr*p out on me... I could boot and get into windows and do 2D stuff just fine... but as soon as I tried for something involving 3D it would lock up or restart the comp... these cards seem to handle pretty high bus speeds... but no that high :(

OP
C

Clevor

Hmmm, sounds like the same problem I'm having, RainMaQer. 2D is fine, and I was able to downclock the card to 260/565 stable in 3DMark2001 (it does 266/593 on a 100 FSB), but when I play the game demos for those two games, it invariably locks up. When I got the lockups at default 240/500, I knew it must be something else.

I was going to sell the Radeon 8500 but I think I better keep it. The only thing that stops that thing is if the CPU or SDRAM craps out. Plays everything 3D at 155, 2-2-2 on the BX board. But ram chips get real hot. After all, what's the sense of getting a BX board/CPU combo that can do 150-160 FSB if you can't play 3D?

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Just lower it down to AGP 2x and itl be fine. Thats where im running my card, and i havent seen any performance difference.

RainMaQer

3D God
WyrmMaster said:
Just lower it down to AGP 2x and itl be fine. Thats where im running my card, and i havent seen any performance difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the BX chipset doesn't support agp 4x. Limitations of the BX were few... but lack of dividers and agp 4x were the ones that stuck in my mind on my P3B-F.

funnyperson1

RainMaQer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the BX chipset doesn't support agp 4x. Limitations of the BX were few... but lack of dividers and agp 4x were the ones that stuck in my mind on my P3B-F.

taht is true i think but 4X/2X makes no difference really in performance and i think some BX oards did have 1/4 dividers....

RainMaQer

3D God
funnyperson1 said:

taht is true i think but 4X/2X makes no difference really in performance and i think some BX oards did have 1/4 dividers....

Yep... the 1/4 divider was there... but no 1/2 agp divider... only 1/1 or 2/3. 4x/2x does make a difference in stability... I've seen it too many times that 4x didn't raise a 3dmark score more than 50 points (usually less) but caused instability (in an overclocked system).

OP
C

Clevor

On the BE6-II Ver. 2.0 board I'm using, you can set AGP to NORMAL, FAST, or AUTO. I tried setting it to NORMAL from AUTO but it didn't do anything to increase the stability, unfortunately.

If I look in Sandra, it says I am running 1X AGP at NORMAL, and 2X at FAST, but again, I didn't see any performance/stability differences.