• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti200 too fast???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malakai

alright, im kinda worried here. I added a bit of arctic alumina under the gpu and some AA epoxy with thermaltake heatsinks for the ram, and i maxed out coolbits! speed in my sig, i cant see a Ti200 going this fast. am i gonna burn out this card? no artifacting or hiccuping whatsoever in any games or 3dmark. almost 100mhz o/c on the core and 160mhz on the mem, im kinda worried to leave it this fast.
any opinions?
-Malakai

GoldenTiger

That's a good OC, nothing unheard of, though. The Gainward Ti200's all overclock very well :). Grats! There's nothing to worry about as far as your card goes.

beefries33

Registered
100 and 160MHz over? Not unheard of? with stock cooling?

Umm.....I will believe it when I see it.
Scott

vtjvt

Registered
my visiontek is currently running at 225/500 with totally stock cooling, there are alot of people running alot higher than me with no problems, so I guess the answer to your question is that it is very possible to overclock that far.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Malakai said:
alright, im kinda worried here. I added a bit of arctic alumina under the gpu and some AA epoxy with thermaltake heatsinks for the ram, and i maxed out coolbits! speed in my sig, i cant see a Ti200 going this fast. am i gonna burn out this card? no artifacting or hiccuping whatsoever in any games or 3dmark. almost 100mhz o/c on the core and 160mhz on the mem, im kinda worried to leave it this fast.
any opinions?
-Malakai

Hey guy, good to see you again. Got the Jag cooler on and have mangaged to get to 268/590. It is really hot and humid right now so will do some more testing with it tonight. I think it may do 270/590 and if I can figure out a better fan situation for the ram may do 270/601. Get some pretty hard artifacting at 601 but none at 590. I test it and then put it back to defaults which I have changed in bios to 230/500. Did you get the sidebanding enabled? With any luck I'll take a run at Dracula tonight and try to hit 9400 or so. In answer to your question, I would not run it fully cranked for long. Heck, I even watch the screen real carefully for any artifacting so I can kill it during testing. Lost the last gf2 pro by being careless and frying the ram. You are aware that the Gainward utility after being set and enabling the oc (check it) will come up with a new range and after that another range. I know that it will at least go to 300/601. Take Care :)

Cold

I have a Gainward G3 Ti200 also that I just finished modding pretty thoroughly. I spent two weeks playing around with the core/memory clocks and testing it with 3DMark 2001SE extensively. The highest I've been able to get is 240/560. Silver has been pretty prominent in reminding everyone here how fast he can get his card. My experience with Ti200 cards as a group is admittedly low but I have to say that I believe there is no way he is getting the speeds he claims to be getting. Or rather, there's no way he is getting his speeds without any problems or artifacts in 3DMark. I've been overclocking for years and know very well that what one chip will do doesn't guarantee that another identical chip will also do. However, there is a limit to what a piece of hardware is able to achieve. If someone tells you they are running a Celeron 300A @ 1200mhz, you can pretty much disregard it no matter what kind of cooling arrangement they claim to have. This is the same case. Running 260/590 without 3DMark artifacts? I think not. At this rate, he'll be claiming 300/820 by the middle of next week.

By the way Silver, I advise you put your finger on the back of your card opposite the Geforce3 chipset. And bring some bacon while you're at it because it's going to be hot enough to fry it there.

Silver

Well, welcome to the forums and a fellow New Yorker to boot. Born in Syracuse, raised in Cazenovia went to school in Poughkepsie (sp).

Only wish I could get it as high as the vmod article says I should. But I am close. The 1u helped a lot. What did you say the mem chips speed on your card read? Got it up to 9190 last night but after that, no more. Ram on mobo is holding it back now and I can't get anymore voltage to it. What mods did you say you had done to your card? If you are willing to fry it then I and others here would be more than willing to help you.

Hey Dracula, got a pass last night 270/600 with some pretty hard artifacting. 9190, that is it. System ram is holding it back now. Even moving up one mhz on system ram has a big impact on the card but cannot complete a looped pass. Need to look at a mobo that will allow faster system ram speeds (read more v's on ddr).

Oh, and yes it does 260/590 with no artifacting (looping 3dmark2001), sorry yours won't. Heck, they were getting 270 on the gpus some time ago (vmodded), the ram speed may be due to newer ram...don't know and really does not matter as higher ram speeds do little to 3d scores. Do you really think I can get that high by the end of the week. Great!!

Ram won't do 800 plus, period and the gpu would need a pelt to even have a shot at 300, but i sure would like the 300.:D

Last edited:

Silver

Malakai said:
any opinions?
-Malakai

Pushing the ram higher really will only give you a little more on the 3d scores, go with the gpu. Lions share rest on the gpu. If you are going to push the ram really hard then make sure you have excellent cooling on it and be ready to hit the escape key should you get artifacting. Fried the pro on the ram and drac has lost how many on the ram? Personally I'm going to back the ram down to 575 and play with setup. The 1u cooler JUST fits and I had to super glue it on. Moves a lot more air than the stock setup which is poor.

Silver

Tracert said:
You have my respect Silver, and not for the OC on your card.

Handled very well.

Thank you sir...Hey, those radeon cards are supposed to be pretty hot...I know with some heavy modding Hung has gotten his way up there.

OP
Malakai

Malakai

Thanks Silver, I got 5 more mhz on the ram, i think ill leave it be. I ran a continuous 3dmark2k1 loop for 10hrs at this speed and checked it every 1/2hr. or so, still no sign of artifacting period.
Cold said:
I have a Gainward G3 Ti200 also that I just finished modding pretty thoroughly. I spent two weeks playing around with the core/memory clocks and testing it with 3DMark 2001SE extensively. The highest I've been able to get is 240/560. Silver has been pretty prominent in reminding everyone here how fast he can get his card. My experience with Ti200 cards as a group is admittedly low but I have to say that I believe there is no way he is getting the speeds he claims to be getting. Or rather, there's no way he is getting his speeds without any problems or artifacts in 3DMark. I've been overclocking for years and know very well that what one chip will do doesn't guarantee that another identical chip will also do. However, there is a limit to what a piece of hardware is able to achieve. If someone tells you they are running a Celeron 300A @ 1200mhz, you can pretty much disregard it no matter what kind of cooling arrangement they claim to have. This is the same case. Running 260/590 without 3DMark artifacts? I think not. At this rate, he'll be claiming 300/820 by the middle of next week.

By the way Silver, I advise you put your finger on the back of your card opposite the Geforce3 chipset. And bring some bacon while you're at it because it's going to be hot enough to fry it there.
I assure u kind sir that that is how fast his card is. I dont really know anyone here who lies about their stuff to look good, at least none of the regulars. I have the stock GPU cooler, but took it off, lapped it, and used arctic alumina to re-attach it, and i used the big blue Ramsinks that cone with the Thermaltake mem cooling kit on the video ram, attached with thermal epoxy(arctic alumina). And it is quite stable with absolutely no artifacting. Silver has much better cooling than me, and he even lapped his GPU if im not mistaken. anyway, Welcome to the Forums, i hope u enjoy your stay here!
-and the gainward ram chips actually say 3.8 or 3.6ns. do yours say that to silver?
-Malakai

Silver

Malakai, I have lapped all my gpus and have never had a problem with it. Did take great care in doing it though. Just letting you know that with care and not going too far is a fairly easy thing to do. Just knock down the plastic enough to get a smooth transition to the core. Hey drac just ran a baseline (?) and used 588 on the ram right off without artifacting. I of course get nervious about things the hotter the ambient gets. Did I mention that I back it down after testing..Hate to have the card go sour when I'm not looking. Did you play with RAy Adams bios edit?

Oh....did not check the ram name...was just looking for the speed and the chips were marked 3.5. 600 on the ram is a scary run and yes there is artifacting as the ram heats up. Point gain in 3d is like 10 points for the whole test so backing the ram down some and concentrating on the GPU is a better move. Of course system ram bandwidth is a good move as well. My system ram is stopping me cold at 9190. 149 cas2 1t fastest timings on this shuttle. Need more voltage to the ddr to push it up and alas don't have it. Have you taken a look at that epox 8k3a?

Silver

Tracert said:

You got a post? I would be interested in what he has done with it.

How about a link to the general area? I did not look into all they are doing on the radeons but did catch that on some very low priced 8500s they are pushing way up there (way beyond me). I'll pm a link to you. If I was not having so much fun with the gf3 then I think I would have gotten a cheaper 8500 and seen what I could do with it.

Silver

Tarrant said:
Yep, nicely handled Silver.

Got the same card as you but I'm stuck at the same speed as Cold is it looks like...240/560. Even with all my modding shown here...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips858/

Heck, you wrote the article....hehe....Like what you did on the cooling. Did not catch it...did you lap the Gpu.....A little vmod on the vcore and ram might work pretty good on the cooling setup you have. I still (like you) back it down though after testing. Fun to play with it but I want it well within "safe range" on a daily basis. Have mine defaulting to 230/500 for everday use as this is fast enough for general use. Like the idea of the back fan....need to see how hot my back is....How fast were you able to get it up to for testing?

Tarrant

Registered
Without the back fan I could only go 240/545. After putting the 50mm on there the core still won't go any higher but I could get the memory to go to 560. I went in 5 mhz increments meaning that I got artifacts in 3DMark at either 245 core or 565 memory. The fans keep the card cool so it's not a heat issue...must be hardware.

I didn't lap anything or do any kind of vmod on there. I figure if I really need to do that then I might as well buy a faster card instead :). Cold might have a good point though as to the heat on the back of your card. Mine was scorching until I added the back fan. Literally thought it was going to burn my finger. You might want to check it after you've been running benchmarks or gaming for a few minutes. You don't want to turn it into a piece of toast !

Silver

Tarrant said:
Without the back fan I could only go 240/545. After putting the 50mm on there the core still won't go any higher but I could get the memory to go to 560. I went in 5 mhz increments meaning that I got artifacts in 3DMark at either 245 core or 565 memory. The fans keep the card cool so it's not a heat issue...must be hardware.

I didn't lap anything or do any kind of vmod on there. I figure if I really need to do that then I might as well buy a faster card instead :). Cold might have a good point though as to the heat on the back of your card. Mine was scorching until I added the back fan. Literally thought it was going to burn my finger. You might want to check it after you've been running benchmarks or gaming for a few minutes. You don't want to turn it into a piece of toast !

Kind of missed that. Was so concerned with getting the vmods right and the cooling on the front of the card I plain old forgot about the back. Thanks...and to think I read your article before modding mine.....jeez...sometimes....

The lapping was easy to do and cost virtually nothing more. Did it while watching the news. The vmods...that took a little bit. BTW the copper jag 1u JUST fits on the board while still allowing it to be seated. I would recommend to anyone reading this to shave the 1u about 1/8" on the side that is plugged into the agp socket.