• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ti4600 (warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grande Juan

Just installed a Visiontek Xtasy ti 4600, I noticed three things immediatly. First its huge and heavy, twice the size of the GF2 it replaced. Second I did'nt receive the Video-in / Video-out cable or the video editing software, massive bummer. What I did get instead was a note saying they are sorry, will ship above items along with a free T-shirt, cool. Third after sticking this "case divider" in the AGP slot I noticed the HSF was cockeyed on the card, so I tried to see if it was loose. Hhmm, it was like a loose tooth dangling by one corner, well I fixed that with some ASII, lapping and remount. So in closing let me say, check that HSF, before powering up. Also looking for a better HSF, before O/Cing this card, even though it has a O/Cing tab in the settings.:eek:

OP
G

Grande Juan

On a further note let me add, the stock HSF looks cheesy, undersized and poorly mounted. Would not recomend putting this card in a rig that gets moved a lot, i.e. lan party's.

OP
G

Grande Juan

el said:
from the pics the fan looks like a cardboard cut out? any truth to what I saw.
I'd say yes to that, it does'nt appear to move much air either. It is also recessed into the HS, wich is walled off on two sides with the fins fanning out the other two sides. The top is then capped with a shroud, air comes in the bottom and out two sides, towards the front and the side panel. It's only held on by two small pushpins, that do'nt seem to work all that well either. However there are four other holes that look like they would allow much better mounting for a more substantial HSF. Sorry no pics, no camera.

ShadowCat66

I agree,the heat sink fan is not the best,no ram sinks either(bummer) but mine did come with a split s-video cable.My buddy's didnt.Also he flipped a slot cooler around and placed it over the card to draw heat off the top of the card and broke 11k.Heat seems to be a problem.Anything you could do to get heat away from the core helps the score.I moved a case fan to blow on top of it and I was able to go from 10100 to 10500,the ram will hit 715 easy but the core on our 2 boards seem to stumble after 306.I too am waitng for a better GPU cooler to see what this board can do!Also the idea in the video card cooling section on putting a 50mm fan on top is something we both plan on doing.

beefries33

Registered
Well my VisionTek Ti4600 came with a solidly mounted heat sink/fan assy. With my side case fans, temps aren't an issue at all.
Scott

OP
G

Grande Juan

beefries33 said:
Well my VisionTek Ti4600 came with a solidly mounted heat sink/fan assy. With my side case fans, temps aren't an issue at all.
Scott
That is a nice case, and I'm sure you don't have a temp issue. However there are only two small standoffs holding that HSF on the GPU with some cheap termal tape. I bet if you look a little closer you may even see an air gap.

beefries33

Registered
Umm....mine is VERY firmly attached, and it's so tight, I can't even see the thermal tape. Guess mine wasn't made on a Friday or Monday.
:)
Scott