• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a core upgrade (cpu, ram, mobo)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erosion

Registered
Current Setup:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T (unlocked to 6 core / oc @ 3.62GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970
PSU: Corsair HX750
Storage: 1x Crucial M4, 1 x Crucial MX10, 2 x WD Black 2TB, 1 x WD Raptor
Case: Cooler Master: HAF 912

I'm kind of out of the loop and don't pay much attention to hardware until it's time for a rebuild, but I'm leaning towards an i7 setup (haven't had Intel for 2 builds now) and 32GB ram, I do alot of hardcore video editing, compositing, 3d work and gaming, so I'll definitely be utilizing the CPU and Ram..

Will probably be a few weeks before I buy anything..

So what suggestions would you guys give for quality CPU, Ram, Mobo (and maybe CPU Cooler (not counted in the budget)) that meets my needs.

Budget: $500ish @ NewEgg

trents

What's your budget? What will you be keeping and what will you need to replace?

OP
E

erosion

Registered
What's your budget? What will you be keeping and what will you need to replace?

The current goal right now is CPU/Mobo/Ram, I've got plenty of life left in my other hardware for awhile.. Anyways for the stuff I do (heavy video editing, compositing, gaming, etc) it's time to beef up my core components. In order to make After Effects/Sony Vegas/Cinema 4D/Etc happy I'm leaning towards an i7 and 32gb ram and obviously a new mobo, while it'll be a stretch budget is $500ish.. bob4933's picks above seem on the right track.

bob4933

No. Get the cooler I showed you in my first link. I picked that one for a reason. The h60 sucks.