• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new chip...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlowBurn

I think I have OCed this thing as far as it can go. At a vcore of 1.85 I can only get it stable at 145 FSB with MAX RAM Timings. It's a 1700+ (locked) AGKGA, and it has got to be one of the WORST stepping out there. Has anyone else had better luck with this chip? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
well i dont think its maxed out.
one its locked still.
two u are running tight ram settings.
id unlock it and move the ram settings to 2.5-3-3-3 or what ever the relaxed setting is for crucial.
drop the multiplier and then start cranking the fsb up.
id say might do 170fsb!
even if its with relaxed ram settings and same mhz it will be much faster do to higher fsb. tight ram settings don yeild half as much performance as a higher fsb.

look at top of amd forums for unlocking info. the chip hasnt even seen ocing yet imo

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
well good memory is as important as a good stepping.
i lucked out my corsair 2100 is the bomb.but it was just purchased to make her run.i got lucky.
next week im dropping in corsair 3200 c2.
but some 2100 will run fine. u gotta remember most 2100 isnt c2!
its c2.5 and when u start ocing it it tops out fast. relax the timeings and itll do much more fsb.a timing to c2 doesnt help that much ,especially compared to raising a fsb by 20fsb.see my point?

OP
SlowBurn

SlowBurn

I posted that before I went to sleep, I had been working all night so I wasn't clear on some things. I did have the memory timing at default, but it still won't get above 145 even with the timings at default. I apologize for posting that, I was frustrated and exhausted. I hadn't really tried any higher vcore either. I mean I did have it running at 1705 and the vcore at 2.1 running very cool, but Prime95 found errors in the first forumula. I'm just going to have to work on it a bit more. See what happens when I raise the vcore a little more ... I'll work on it, thanks guys.

OP
SlowBurn

SlowBurn

Well I stepped it up gradually and this is what I found:

The list below shows the voltage and the highest FSB I could achieve with out receiving any errors in Prime95
  1. 1.800v stable @ 145
  2. 1.850v stable @ 147 (currently running at)
  3. 1.875v stable @ 147
  4. 1.900v stable @ 148
  5. 1.950v stable @ 148
  6. 1.975v stable @ 149

All of them never had temps that went above 42C at full load, but I didn't want to run it at 2.000v, so I didn't try any higher. Also the voltage for the DDR was always at 2.85v.

OP
SlowBurn

SlowBurn

deathstar13 said:
what multiplier u using?

It's locked. I will attempt to unlock it soon, but I'm kind of leary about doing it.

On a side note, I ordered a 1600 XP AGOIA that should be here by Monday. I will attempt to unlock the 1700 once I get the new chip.

Last edited:

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
well i do believe it will go much further unlocked. mine locked tops out at 147 locked. unlocked and drop the multi i still top out at same mhz about 2000 but its at 180fsb. big differance in performance all round. if u try it u will like it alot better i promise.

just read up on the unlocking tho. isnt hard just frustrating at times.isnt dangerous imo but some people burn chips up changing heatsinks.so whos to say, i guess dangerous is relitive to the person doing it.

Kunaak

deathstar13, knows what he's talking about.

the problems is your multiplier is locked, my old XP 2100 wouldn't do any more then 143 locked.

with my XP 1800 unlocked, I an easily reach 180 and higher on my FSB.
thats on air though.

I am still waiting for my Prometeia and Abit KD7.
when I get them two things, I will push this chip to an early grave I am sure.
can't wait to get above 200...
thats gonna be so fun.
oh yeah, also getting the XP 2400 soon.

SlowBurn, by the way, hows that KD7 working for you?
now that you had it a few days and all...

OP
SlowBurn

SlowBurn

Kunaak said:
deathstar13, knows what he's talking about.

the problems is your multiplier is locked, my old XP 2100 wouldn't do any more then 143 locked.

with my XP 1800 unlocked, I an easily reach 180 and higher on my FSB.
thats on air though.

I am still waiting for my Prometeia and Abit KD7.
when I get them two things, I will push this chip to an early grave I am sure.
can't wait to get above 200...
thats gonna be so fun.
oh yeah, also getting the XP 2400 soon.

SlowBurn, by the way, hows that KD7 working for you?
now that you had it a few days and all...

Hey Kunaak, the KD7 is working great. I think I should have reinstalled Windows XP after going from my KR7A-RAID to this board, was having all sorts of unknown hardware issues. I'm going to work on that probably either later today, or early tomorrow.

As you can see I'm having more problems with my chip atm, but two things will change that... 1. I'm going to attempt to unlock it. I was going to do it today, but I woke up too late, and I'm too tired to try it right now, and 2. I ordered a 1600XP AGOIA 0204 that should be here sometime early next week.

By the way, I did have this chip at 157 FSB at a vcore of 2.35 (yes that is right), and it was running fine... just not very stable. As I have read, I'm pretty lucky I didn't BBQ this CPU, but it's also being cooled by the AX-7 and the Vantec. Right now I have it at stock until I unlock it, hopefully tomorrow. Keep me informed of what you think or the KD7 when you get yours.

Kunaak

I get my KD7 on the 29th.
OCsystems.com is really sloooooooooooow....

took 4 days just for them to send my Item to Ups.

but atlest I will finally have it soon.
atleast it's not as bad as my order of the prometeia.
I orderd it on the 12th, told it shipped on the 21st.
only to be told on the 23rd, it's delayed at customs, and wont be shipped till november 6th...
so I'll probably get it around the middle of november.

on thing I am learning with Overclocking shops on the net...
alot of patience.