• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Hi, I'm just needing some input from all of you :)

I'm currently using the Turbolink 420W psu that came with my case, and here are my average voltages according to Hardware Doctor

Vcore - 1.49 (it's set to 1.55 in bios...wtf)
DDR - 2.73
+3.3 rail - 3.31
+5 rail - 5.09
+12 rail - 11.86

IMO the 5 and 12 and vcore are pretty bad, but are those bad enough to NEED a new psu?

Thanks!l

SunTzu69

Well,

It seems you're in it to overclock. If you are, a high quality PSU can only help. :santa2:

I for one am getting a Sparkle/Fortron 530W and no other. Antec would be great too. It's really the foundation (along with the mobo) for a good overclock.

OP
DamienKC

DamienKC

Yeah, my first choice was the Fortron 530W, cheap, and has good reviews.

Vio1

you dont need a new PSU. Your rails are close enough... not even in a dangerous level. if you start getting 3v on a 3.3v or 4.7v on a 5v or 11v on 12v rail then Id think of getting a new psu. otherwise your in the clear.

Turd Furguson

Please check your voltages on all those lines with a Digital Multimeter to get accurate results. Software could be not reporting properly.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I cuncur with Turd. Don't rely on software to read the voltages. They read off the same sensors as the bios and could be misleading. To get accurate readings do what Turd suggested.

Mr.Radar

Turbo Link PSUs tend to be on the lower end of the quality scale. I'd reccomend replacing it. If you can afford it definately go with the Sparkle 530 (exactly the same as the Fortron 530 except it's sold for a lower price), however the Sparkle 400 should also be good, or any of the Antec TruePowers (at or above 380 watts).

Vio1

I just understand you people.... his rails are normal... maybe the bios is reading it a bit wrong, but there is no reason to get a new psu! Unless of course you are having problems.