• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I'm looking at buying a new PSU. I have an older video card. I want to upgrade but with prices the way they are now, I may have to skip this generation of cards. I'm looking at getting an RX 6000 series card if the prices ever normalize. My question is, for those of you with RX 6000 cards, what PSU do you have? Should I get another 750w PSU? Or go for 850? I don't do a lot of overclocking, but overclocking is a possibility if I can get a new video card. The video card I'm looking at to upgrade says the minimum is 750w, with 850 recommended (XFX Merc319 6800xt...I know it's out of stock, like every other card). Also, I have an EVGA PSU now, but unfortunately I don't remember how long I have had it. I've read that EVGA is a solid brand, but I don't know if I should switch to another brand. I'm thinking of buying a Seasonic PSU. I have read here on the forums and on other sites that Seasonic is a solid choice for PSUs. What do you guys think? Should I stick with EVGA or go with Seasonic? Or are they both about even in quality? Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

EVGA is very good, Corsair has a good rep, too. Seasonic and Super Flower built units are always good, PC P&C and Toppower built units used to be top notch as well, but I don't know if they still are.

As for size, I would definitely go with an 850 or higher these days, and getting into the 1000w class is cheaper than you think, even for fully modular or partially-modular units. If you're thinking of upgrades, I would spend the extra 20-50 and go big. That's just my philosophy in general, though. I'm a sucker for more power, lol. My vehicles have insanely overpowered stereos, too. :D

DOOO EEEET!!!!

Seriously, the cost difference between 750 and 850 is negligible for quality units, and up to 1000w is not much more.

Anything with a 10 year warranty is going to work for you. If you get one from EVGA you would only need one more product (GPU,PSU) to become an Elite member and other products like Keyboards and mice will be heavily discounted...If that is something you are interested in.

I went with a Seasonic semi-modular Focus GM-750 for my R7-3800XT / RX 6800 XT Red Dragon build. I'm pretty sure 750 watts is plenty for my system. That Seasonic has a 7 year warranty, and since I haven't found a motherboard that doesn't require the 24 pin connector I don't mind semi-modular. lol It is not currently on sale, but I did find it $20 cheaper when I purchased it from Best Buy.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will go with another EVGA (850 G5 this time). My current PSU is a little noisy until it runs for a bit...then it gets quiet. I think I'm ok to wait until the 850 might go on sale (possibly a month or two).

Back