• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a real sound card. What should I get ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Billvill (Jul 31, 2001 03:54 p.m.):
I hear David Lee Roth is looking for a job. I wonder if he will mind staying in a computer case ?

Billy

I could feed him cheese, a taste of his own medicine!

8)

the live! platinum 5.1 is excellent... great DVD, great gaming, and it comes with a remote, the live! drive, and a ton of bundled goodies... expensive, but well worth the cost...

Go with the Santa Cruz or Philips Acoustic Edge. They both have excellent sound quality, support six channel audio, and work with the VIA Southbridge.

So the only reason you should get the santa cruz over the 5.1 is if you have a via chipset? I have a amd chipset on the mobo im buying soon but it also has a via chipset on it i belive... But the via is for the AGP so I dunno.. I think I will stick with the 5.1 just becuase I am so pressed for cash. Rather put that 20$ to geting a 1.4 instead of a 1.3 hehe!

Well I doubt you will be running any HIGH END sound programs like Cubase VST or Sound Forge. So I really don't think you need to spent ALOT of money on a REALLY REALLY good sound card. (BTW there are cards out there that START at $250!!!!!) These are the really good ones with LOTS for inputs for sound recording. Doubt you'll be doing that. Just stick with the SB family of cards and download the update if you run VIA. I have a SB Live value and VIA chipset.and loved it. No complaints here.

I like the fact that they take over for the cpu and don't rely on it. That helps free up clock cycles to do other things. But with the systems getting on up into the gig range I really don't know if it matters much anymore. But hey squeeze out ever ounce of your system that you can!!! That's what we overclockers love to do!!!

Clock and upgrade on

Rob

Back