• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for all 4P's to goto sleep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
At the end of this week, I will shut down my 4P's but will leave the GPU's going, my output will drop by 250k +/- a few k here and there :)

Seems like alot of electric power for 4p. I wondee if these new 16 core ryzen server chips will make cpu folding viable again.

Seems like alot of electric power for 4p. I wondee if these new 16 core ryzen server chips will make cpu folding viable again.

You can't beat GPUs with thousands of cores and incredible energy efficiency. SMP folding is dying and I don't think it will ever come back.

Right now my 4Ps are getting about 250k ppd each but sometimes dropping to 100k on certain WUs. That's acceptable. If the ppd goes lower, they will have to be turned off.

Last edited:

16 core Ryzen would do a little better that 16 core opteron but not much, Ryzen can be OCed to 4.0GHZ and Opteron can not.

It overclocks better AND has a faster/Mhz architecture. Since F@H ppd scales more than linear no matter what the client, we could still see some significant numbers. ie if the architecture and the speed increase doubles performance in most applications, it usually triples it in F@H.

edit: Ah wait, I just realized that some of those Opterons are 4 processors with 16 cores each! I don't think AMD has anything at that scale for the Ryzen.

Last edited:
It overclocks better AND has a faster/Mhz architecture. Since F@H ppd scales more than linear no matter what the client, we could still see some significant numbers. ie if the architecture and the speed increase doubles performance in most applications, it usually triples it in F@H.

edit: Ah wait, I just realized that some of those Opterons are 4 processors with 16 cores each! I don't think AMD has anything at that scale for the Ryzen.

Not yet it doesn't, Ryzen 2p server chips will be out in Q2 with upto 32c/64t per cpu

- - - Updated - - -

16 core Ryzen would do a little better that 16 core opteron but not much, Ryzen can be OCed to 4.0GHZ and Opteron can not.

Not officially and not quite to 4ghz but you can overclock the 61xx opterons with the right tools

I guess I am the odd duck here. I just bought a 4P system. I did it partially because I liked the idea of running something different. Also, I have a rather strange situation where I actually have excess power in the spring time (Solar power) that due to the odd NC rules, I donate to Duke power if I don't use by June 1. So for now the 4P is cranking. I does not seem to be too much of a power hog so it will likely keep running, although I will probably move it from my office down to my woodshop. It keeps the office nice and warm now, but I don't want to have it here in the summer.

Back