• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to ask the AMDroids,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

Right now I have an XP 1600+ AGOIA Y and 256MB Mushkin PC-3200 on my hands. Still need a mobo after my DOA A7V333. Right now I also have the option of selling the XP & DDR to get:

Abit TH7-II (refurb) $35
4x128MB (512MB) RK-Byte PC-800 RAMBUS $40 :eek:
P4 1.6A $100

For a total of $175 I can get that, and after sellng off the AGOIA and DDR it wouldn't cost me much at all.

From the point of view of the AMD'ers, would you take that P4 setup instead of the AGOIA/DDR?

Need to make the decision tonight whether to order an AMD mobo or to sell off my AMD parts and get that P4 setup for $175. All opinions greatly appreciated.

Goo Kenson

No. The proc is way too slow, especially since it's an "a", and 4 sticks of RAM is increasing the chance of screwing up.

I had a dead A7V33 (it was completely my fault, not an ASUS problem or anything) and I just got a new one for $120.

Your current AMD system would beat the s**t out of that P4 system. I would never take it.

Tipycol

I agree with Goo Kenson. And if you get the same board or a board with a KT333 chipset, you should be able to get that proc to 1743MHz easily by raising the fsb to 166. It'd be like owning a XP 2100+, only you get even better performance with the fsb that high.

Goo Kenson

Actually you should probably get a kt400 chipset for that pc3200 RAM, that didn't occur to me. So maybe a Soyo Dragon 400 or an A7V8X.

IR1

P4 1.6 over a Agoia y 1600+???

My agoia Z does 166 fsb on stock voltage and my benchies show my 1600+ at 1750 surpassing a P4 2.4 ghz with 512k cache.

Sorry dude stick with the AMd why would you pay 100 bucks for less performance.

Emericana

umm no you shouldnt get a KT400 because there is no difference between that and a KT333 except for AGP 8x and Serial ATA.

as for the intel question, a 1.6a is way to slow. those oc to around 2.4ghz usually and according to sisoft, my AMD @1750mhz is about the same speed (a little bit faster actually) then a P4 2.4ghz. So it is either over a hundred for a 1.6a or like $55 for a 1600+ (you can buy mine off me unlocked if you would like click my www link).

as for the motherboard get a Abit KX7-333

PhobMX

i also have a cheapie system, and right now its on par with a p4 @ 2.66Ghz, i was a nvidia/intel man and now look at my system. I didnt expect this comp to perform so good.

Just wait until i get better memory, reaply AS3 to drop my temps and maybe a GeForceFX... :cool:

i also second the kx7333 option, if you really dont want to try the asus a7v333.
Man, my primary rig is the first ive ever built from scratch and i think i was lucky, it runs flawless (well, maybe high temps and crap mem pick). It was luck of the draw, give asus a second chance, this mobo overclocks well and it also gives you the peace of mind of the only truly working cpu overheating system for amd cpus right now...

Milkman

For sure stick with Amd, I made the mistake of trading my Kx7 raid and Agoia 2000+ off for an Intel system 1.8a and Th7II and was very dissapointed with it,As you can see by my sig I am back to Amd again for good.

mamer