• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to get a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heat

I have a 533 celeron system w/ a loud aopen 250 watts. It seems like it is making some grinding noises sometimes, but I know its not the hard drive. I mean, the PSU is basically shaking my case like crazy at times. But the system has not crashed and i haven't noticed any problems with stability though... It is about a year old I guess. It is rather difficult for me to pinpoint where the noises are coming from, its not the HSF, HD, cd burner, etc. Could the mobo make this much noise?

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
It probably has a cheap sleeve-bearing fan in it that's about to croak. They're not that hard to replace if you have a spare 80mm fan you don't care to splice in there but being an old 250W, it's probably not worth the trouble.

No moving parts on a motherboard (other than maybe a tiny chipset fan) so that wouldn't be it either.

OP
H

Heat

Yeah, I figure I'll buy a 300 watts PSU in a couple of months. You mean the fan in the PSU? That's what I'm saying is hard to pinpoint, the HSF may account for some of the noises, but certainlu not the vibrations or grinding sounds.

OP
H

Heat

Hmm, I see Newegg has the quiet sparkle 300w for $27. Probably will order this in a couple of weeks, hope it'll solve the noise/vibration problem.

larrymoencurly

I was told to never use WD-40 to lube bearings because it's like mineral spirits, and you should always use 5-10 weight machine oil.