• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

time to round up some parts.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
my game rig cpu is dying, I am killing it with volts, but, so it goes.
it'a a 4790K on an asrock z97 extreme 9 board, the board is still fine, it's just the illegal immigration is slowly killing it.
I have ordered a pair of intel 8086K cpus, yes, it's a stupid waste of money but, why not.
I promise I'll be focused like a laser on the rest of the budget, as I always have.
I need to pick out a motherboard, I want some blue without rgb, 2 m2 sata ports, I know nvme is all the rage but for me it's only at boot that nvme shines and I have a few of those around anyway.
ram will be some trident z rgb of some sort, ram doesn't buy me much when gaming, i'll grab 64 gigs for each and that will be that.
I'll keep my msi 980TI's in sli for the most part, with this rig I game across 3 1080p monitors and when I game on all six I swap in my rig with 1080's in sli and they get the job done, at A frame rate that works for me.
I game GTA-V with a group that includes a bunch of nfl players that have rigs built for them out west someplace but I prefer to build my own, it's a nice feeling to curb stomp a guy that has over $10,000 in the custom built box alone with a couple thousand dollar home brew rig.
I'll keep my cooling system as is, it's massive for a cpu only loop and I REALLY like the looks of my xspc raystorm block and it also performs very well indeed.
I'll be replacing both my game rigs with this setup so it'll be two of everything, what fun this is going to be.
so now begs the question, what board would you suggest? the asrock extreme 4 fits the features, but the color is rgb……..

I got the 8086K only because I wanted something better than a pretty average 8600K (which I had and was overclocking below average I could say) in my gaming PC. Since it's a really small PC then I wanted something that will overclock at stock or lowered voltage. I know that 8086K was a waste of money and 8700K is about the same in lower price but I wanted it anyway. It was giving me a higher chance on a good chip. I'm not complaining with 4.5GHz 1.1V or 4.7GHz 1.15V, especially that used cooling is about the size of stock Intel cooler.

Most new motherboards are RGB right now. It's hard to find anything else. However, if you don't like LEDs or want it blue then just set LEDs to that mode. Whatever is white/silver will look blue with LEDs, also when you install graphics card etc. then it won't be so much visible. Then you can focus on something like whole black or with silver details. Pretty much everything from ASRock offer except Fatal1ty series which is red will fit. MSI has really nice looking white motherboards. Some have blue LEDs or RGB which can be set to blue. MSI is pretty solid in these new series and also overclocks memory well. I'm really happy with Z370I Gaming Carbon but it's ITX motherboard so not really for you.
It's just hard to recommend anything better than the ASRock Extreme4 which you already found.

as far as the cpu, it's the same for me, hoping for the better silicone out of the box, if it will do 5ghz out of the box on one, it might do 5.2 with all churning and not beat on the heat wall such as my fx 9590 does, I hope.
most motherboards you can turn the lighting off, my main game rig is in a white tower 900, so I guess I can add a little blue to the board and have it work out.
in this giant case it's really going to have to be an atx board as a smaller board will look a little funny in it.

Back