• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to upgrade an old core 2 quad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

I have an old hp system, a core 2 quad q8400. It has 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, an upgraded power supply (evga bronze 600w), and an r9 290 graphics card. My main machine is a core i5 3570k at 4ghz, 24 gigs ddr3 ram, and an r9 390. My wife has been using the core 2 quad for awhile now as a gaming machine, and I never paid much attention because she played skyrim and civ 5 which ran fine on the machine. But recently I tried to play fallout 4 and I saw a big difference vs my machine. After running benchmarks I found that hers is about 50% slower than mine. Only thing I can point to and say "that's the culprit" is the old processor / mb setup.

Since I can't overclock (mb is generic hp) that leads me to a full upgrade / swap out of mb and processor. I don't mind buying used (fully expect to actually) but I don't want to spend more than 100$. What would you suggest? It doesn't need to be a k processor, or able to overclock, but I was looking at i7 920ish with mb on ebay and it seemed to be the closest thing in my price range that would give a boost.

Note this machine is only used for gaming or watching videos. Hooked up to a 1080p tv.

If you don't mind AMD, I've been seeing a few FX8350/990 setups on Craigslist pop up in the $100-$125 range lately.
With the new AMD structure getting close, there will probably be more and more of these popping up soon.

I don't have anything against amd per se but is an fx8350 really much better than core 2 quad? I was under the impression it wasn't.

And in my area our craigslist is filled with morons trying to sell core 2 duos with 8800gtxs as 500$ gaming machines that will play anything at 1080p max settings. :p

Back