• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Timeouts in win2k???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YMAN

I am having a problem with workstations having there mapped
network drives disconecting after a short period of time.
I believe it is linked to the new server I have.

All the workstations run win2k pro and the server runs win2k
adv server.

How can I make it so the server does not disconect the
connections to the network drives.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Well, after a period of non-use, any Microsoft mapped drive will disconnect after a period of time by default. It will then reinitialize itself when accessed again. This is simply to reduce unnecessary network traffic.

When the drive disconnects are you having trouble reconnecting? If that's the case then there is a problem, otherwise, I don't understand why you would want it constantly online for use even when it's not being accessed.

OP
Y

YMAN

no, im not having problems reconnecting.

It seems like it disconects after 15 minutes or so, but the problem
is that it disconects when people are in programs typing information,
then when they need to save it, they cant because it disconected or lost connection.

Jon

If you right click on My Computer it will tell you which SP is installed. There is a PMTU bug in SP2 that cause network disconnections. When running a machine with SP2 installed the MTU value must match whatever MS OS it is connecting to or you'll get an error 64, eventually (Network name not found)...there are 2 or 3 other errors you could get as well but all point to the same problem.

The only solutions are to either ensure all systems are updated to SP2/3 or if you're in a mixed SP environment, the SP2 machines must have the PMTU patch installed in order to keep connections to other systems. You can find this patch at Microsoft's website by doing a search in the Knowledge Base for PMTU patch.

This may not be the problem, but it's a start.

OP
Y

YMAN

Ok, the server and a few other workstations dont appear
to be using a service pack, the others are using service
pack 2 or 3. I am updating all the systems to service pack
3 right now, i'll keep you posted.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
this "problem" is actually a "feature" to stop excessive network traffic

there is a 15-minute timeout for the connections, if they aren't being used. if you want to keep them alive.

run the command on the server:
NET CONFIG SERVER /AUTODISCONNECT:[timeout]
where [timeout is the number of minutes before it drops the connection.

or, you can manually edit in the values:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
you are looking for "autodisconnect" binary value.. should be set to 0x0000000f = 15 minutes

I ran into this problem myself. I'm surprised more people don't run into this...

Jon

su root said:
this "problem" is actually a "feature" to stop excessive network traffic

there is a 15-minute timeout for the connections, if they aren't being used. if you want to keep them alive.

run the command on the server:
NET CONFIG SERVER /AUTODISCONNECT:[timeout]
where [timeout is the number of minutes before it drops the connection.

or, you can manually edit in the values:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
you are looking for "autodisconnect" binary value.. should be set to 0x0000000f = 15 minutes

I ran into this problem myself. I'm surprised more people don't run into this...

LOL, that was my next stop. Sometimes I wonder why I don't start with the simplest stuff first.

I may actually copy that down into a regfile for instantly changing that...be handy to have.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
yeah, that's a good idea, actually. I can't for the life of me remember the command line... always have to go look it up.

if you set it at -1 minutes then it will never timeout, but on reboot it will correct that to the default 15.. you could put "NET CONFIG SERVER /AUTODISCONNECT:-1" in your server's startup.