• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tiny bit of coil whine...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Ever since I put my 980ti G1 in I've been hearing a tiny bit of coil whine. I originally thought it was my spinner drive crunching, though I couldn't figure out why other than the fact that I recently put the paging file allocation on it.

I can now confirm that it's my PSU doing the coil whine and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions other than the V-Sync, Adaptive Sync tweak which hasn't worked.

Not a huge deal but I thought I would ask. It's certainly perfectly ok to live with.

Thanks.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well, since it's the psu, nothing... I never recommend opening one up if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Alaric

I was going to say it's a good excuse for an upgrade-then I saw your PSU in your sig. I'm going to back away from the conversation , now....

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Some sound damping material inside your case might absorb enough of the noise you won't hear it.

OP
Pepi93

Pepi93

Thanks for the suggestions. I wouldn't RMA it as it's barely noticeable. It's just this low level humming.

Oh well, no big deal.

OP
Pepi93

Pepi93

I know I said no big deal but I have more info so maybe someone can shed some light on this particular type of coil whine?

As mentioned previously it sounds like a HDD crunching really really fast....

I notice that when I click on anything or open anything or hit the apply button to NVIDIA settings etc it stops momentarily until the application is done loading or web page loads etc...I also notice it doesn't do it when I fire up a movie...weird...

I wouldn't mind fixing it if possible.

Turning on Vsync in global settings doesn't fix it.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I know I said no big deal but I have more info so maybe someone can shed some light on this particular type of coil whine?

As mentioned previously it sounds like a HDD crunching really really fast....

I notice that when I click on anything or open anything or hit the apply button to NVIDIA settings etc it stops momentarily until the application is done loading or web page loads etc...I also notice it doesn't do it when I fire up a movie...weird...

I wouldn't mind fixing it if possible.

Turning on Vsync in global settings doesn't fix it.

Buying another card or PSU (which ever makes the whine. It sounds like its the gpu to me not the psu) THE only way to completely "fix" it but then the new card might be worse...