• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tip for quick testing total power draw of system: Realbench

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

If you have a "plugin at the wall" watt meter and want to test the total power draw of your system under load before purchasing a new PSU try running the Realbench stress test. It works both the CPU and the GPU hard at the same time. Many stress testers load one or the other component but not both simultaneously as you would experience in many real world games and applications.

I tested the system in the Sig below while running Realbench last night and it topped out at about 160W usage. Running P95 or Heaven alone draw less power than Realbench. Heaven draws about 120 watts on my system and P95 28.10 draws about 140 watts. The meter shows that my overclocked, delidded 7600k draws about 102 watts under full load P95 testing. I have only a 450 watt PSU installed on this system and you can see from the numbers it is much more than I actually need.

Typically, people overbuy from a watt perspective when choosing a PSU. Video card manufacturers often add in a significant hedge when recommending minimum PSU wattage but a gaming class video card will be the biggest power consuming component in your system.

You can buy a plug in watt meter for under $20 US and it's a handy tool for system builders and overclockers.

Last edited:

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I am just starting to see that light myself with the addition that fully modular psus are really for the higher end builds, how many motherboards don't have a 20-24 pin atx power connector?
for custom cabling in can see fully modular.
with the 10xx cards pretty much killing the need for multi card rigs for most of us it looks like 550-600 watts is tops for most, folding, mining and such are exceptions to this.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
If you have a "plugin at the wall" watt meter and want to test the total power draw of your system under load before purchasing a new PSU try running the Realbench stress test. It works both the CPU and the GPU hard at the same time. Many stress testers load one or the other component but not both simultaneously as you would experience in many real world games and applications.

I tested the system in the Sig below while running Realbench last night and it topped out at about 160W usage. Running P95 or Heaven alone draw less power than Realbench. Heaven draws about 120 watts on my system and P95 28.10 draws about 140 watts. The meter shows that my overclocked, delidded 7600k draws about 102 watts under full load P95 testing. I have only a 450 watt PSU installed on this system and you can see from the numbers it is much more than I actually need.

Typically, people overbuy from a watt perspective when choosing a PSU. Video card manufacturers often add in a significant hedge when recommending minimum PSU wattage but a gaming class video card will be the biggest power consuming component in your system.

You can buy a plug in watt meter for under $20 US and it's a handy tool for system builders and overclockers.

Heaven is not using all CPU threads and is not so demanding. It uses mainly graphics card power. If you wish to run benchmark which uses both then new 3DMark in combined tests or VR mark or something like this can use more CPU cores and graphics card at the same time.

Recently I was checking Ryzen [email protected] and GTX1080Ti on 450W SFX PSU and it was working fine in everything. Recommended PSU for this setup is 600W but recommended values are in case of standard efficiency PSU. High efficiency PSU can be about 100W lower and will still work fine. 550W silver/gold PSU is just right for something like 140W TDP CPU + 250W TDP graphics card and 1-2 HDD/SSD so something like 6-8 core Intel/AMD + top graphics card.
There is one more reason why it's good to buy lower wattage but high efficiency PSU. Most Gold/Platinum 90+ units run passive up to 50-60% load or up to some temperature. It means lower noise but also less dust in the PSU. With all these power saving options in CPU and GPU, most good PSU will run with passive cooling for most of the time.