• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips to Make Windows Wake Up From Sleep as 100% Reliable as Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alvin777

Hello PC & Windows friends.

Sleep is needed today to save energy and save the bearing in the fans but sometimes it won't wakeup. What tips in settings is best, in the BIOS and in Windows 10 Pro or Windows 11 Pro (I'm on Windows 11 Pro). I've turned On 'Turn Off Display' but I've Turned Off Hybrid and Hibernate coz' those have an even high probability of crashing and not waking up.

Thank you in advance. Have a blessed & major hardware & software free week.

Sleep has (seemingly) been borked on Windows for ages now, depending on who you ask. As far as settings go, there's nothing to touch that would make it more reliable AFAIK. For me, sleep worked just fine on W11 Pro 22H2. I haven't changed any settings outside of time to sleep/monitor shut off.

If sleep isn;t working for you, shut off the PC. With SSDs and NVMe-based SSDs, boot is so quick, there's almost no point to use sleep if it's not working well for your system.

Sleep has (seemingly) been borked on Windows for ages now, depending on who you ask. As far as settings go, there's nothing to touch that would make it more reliable AFAIK. For me, sleep worked just fine on W11 Pro 22H2. I haven't changed any settings outside of time to sleep/monitor shut off.

If sleep isn;t working for you, shut off the PC. With SSDs and NVMe-based SSDs, boot is so quick, there's almost no point to use sleep if it's not working well for your system.
Anything that turns monitors off causes problems for my 6 monitor setup. Turning off the displays or sleeping will cause weird graphical problems, greatly reduced performance, stuttering, etc. Since I'm on the computer most of the day, everything stays on, and then I shut down at night. It has basically fixed all the problems I ran into.

I don't bother with putting the computer in sleep anymore. All programs either save their state on exit or I don't care about them.

I've been lucky with two monitors, I suppose. No issues caused by sleep (I do have a weird issue that chops off a small vertical portion in the middle of monitor 2 and puts it on the right of monitor 1 that's resolved by turning off/on the monitor).

That said, I don't put my PC to sleep on purpose... I generally shut it down as well considering how quick it is to boot from scratch anyway. However, I do forget and it goes to sleep. No issues here, but it's common to have them, judging from all the complaints over the years.

One suggestion I have is make sure hibernation is properly disabled. I have seen instances where hibernation isn't a displayed option but it is still enabled, and it goes into the wrong sleep state.

:welcome:

I don't let my computer sleep as I use Folding@Home. I do let my monitors turn off. I have three monitors but really only use two on a daily basis. The monitors always come back for me. No issues.

My suggestions would be to start simple and work your way up.
Update all drivers. It's crazy but we had an Excel (Office) issue that was resolved by updating the audio drivers. It was a reasonably well known Dell issue, so yeah. Update all drivers.
Update firmware/BIOS. Check your MB manufacturer and video card maker for updated BIOS. You may or may not have one available.

We don't know what hardware you're using but we probably wouldn't have different answers in this case. I agree with ED that hybernate/sleep has been borked for a long time in Windows.

Are you getting any error messages? Have you checked the logs to see if there are any errors that might point you in one direction or another? It is my experience that these issue don't show up in the logs but hey... doesn't cost anything to look.

My suggestions would be to start simple and work your way up.
Update all drivers. It's crazy but we had an Excel (Office) issue that was resolved by updating the audio drivers. It was a reasonably well known Dell issue, so yeah. Update all drivers.
Update firmware/BIOS. Check your MB manufacturer and video card maker for updated BIOS. You may or may not have one available.

We don't know what hardware you're using but we probably wouldn't have different answers in this case. I agree with ED that hybernate/sleep has been borked for a long time in Windows.

Are you getting any error messages? Have you checked the logs to see if there are any errors that might point you in one direction or another? It is my experience that these issue don't show up in the logs but hey... doesn't cost anything to look.
I work with a major hardware manufacturer currently and you would not believe the number of IT support people who call in without having done ANY of this, and its always our first recommendation. "My users laptop wont turn on send a tech out here" like ummm no we need to diagnose the issue before we do anything bro. When its a poor end user who was just tossed in the wind its more understandable, but for pros to fail at troubleshooting thats a different story.

As for the weird driver fix, oh yeah Ive seen so many of those. I recently had a touchpad driver that was crashing zoom on a clients system. Weird one to be sure.

Borked? Yeah... /sigh...
I constantly have to change my "put monitor to sleep" setting to "never", because windows keeps changing it to 10 or 15 minutes. It's been that way for at least 3 years for me... doesn't matter which system in my sig it is/was... happens on both inexplicably.

Borked? Yeah... /sigh...
I constantly have to change my "put monitor to sleep" setting to "never", because windows keeps changing it to 10 or 15 minutes. It's been that way for at least 3 years for me... doesn't matter which system in my sig it is/was... happens on both inexplicably.
Check what software you have installed. I've never seen nor heard of the setting changing automatically.

Back