• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips & Tricks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

Everyone post their tricks and tips here so we can try and get a sticky going

1. How to get a cd out of a drive without having to boot at all:

On the front of the cd-drive there is a small hole. With a paper clip (straightened out) push the paper clip into the hole until finally the cd tray will pop out, take the cd out then push it closed.

This is extremely useful when you have actually taken it out of the computer all together.

Jonny

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
In order to resurrect a dead HDD, try freezing it for a few hours. It might give you another 20 minutes or so to get what you want off the disk before it completely ruins itself.

FunkDaMonkMan

Instead of putting a blowhole on the top of your case.. put it on the top the sidepannel on the right. It removes the same air, but doesn't allow dust to fall in when the pc is off.

**only important if you don't like dust like me :D **

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
never throw away and AT power supply unles it's REALLY dead or too dangerous to use. You can turn them on without a motherboard and are very handy for testing/comparing the noise of fands or testing CD-ROMs (specifically ones that have the play button). Dead CD-ROMs usually won't even come on or won't allow you to open the tray.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
No matter how useless a part may seem, eventually SOMEONE on this forum will "need" or want one for some odd reason :)

I've hit myself a number of times because I didn't follow this rule.