• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Titan X-Pascal Performance as a true 4K card VS 1070 SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
So, just for kicks I wrote a new article today on my 10-year-old hardware review site that hasn't been updated in seven years. :) curious as to your thoughts after reading. I apologize tremendously for the spelling and grammar in advance. But I encourage you to pick up on my errors and let me know.

http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/misc/gtx1070sli/

"Is the Nvidia GTX 1070 SLI currently a viable option instead of going with the infamous Nvidia Titan X-P or a single 1080?"

image.jpeg

My answer to that burning question is that I do believe the GTX 1070 SLI is currently a great option. It might not be the option for everyone, but I think it is one of the best options currently available to the mass consumer as far as 4K and multi screen high res/high refresh rate gaming and beyond is concerned even with the imminent release of titan XP. The hefty $1200 price point looks might high when we, as blue collar peasants might be able to build an $800 SLI set up instead, that will really help with high res gaming, even more so than the new Titan.. Now I will do my best to explain my viewpoint and allow you to decide. Read more ..... http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/misc/gtx1070sli/

mokrunka

Cool article, dominick! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It's interesting that you're basically thinking the same thing I was but with a 1070 instead. I've just bought the 1080, and reasoned that I could add another for roughly the same total cost as a Titan XP, but with performance that would easily surpass it. This is typically my logic when upgrading video cards; buy one, then add another when needed.

With the exception of course of my old GTX 690, which treated me well for several years :)

OP
dominick32

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Thanks so much for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it. My sentiments exactly. Even more so for a 1070 owner like myself. The benchmark charts speak for themselves. It was kind of funny this morning as some of the official Titan X pascal benchmarks were slowly leaking out , my figures and hypothetical performance numbers were spot on to the 1% percentage. I almost spit my coffee out laughing this morning when my prediction of 55 FPS in far cry primal (4K max settings) and PC World magazine did a test where they got 55 FPS far cry primal this morning identical to my prediction haha. Etc etc

But the thing of it is, it's costing 1200 dollars for a 24% performance increase from 1080 FE. That's a 100% price increase for a 20% average performance increase. So, it just makes a lot more sense to me to institute the SLI 1070 setup for 4K ultra settings gamers. Or in your case the 1080 SLI setup if you can afford it. I mean if I was in your shoes, you can sell that 1080 and buy two 1070s for the same price to get a very hefty performance increase over 1080 and Titan X by running 1070 SLI. Unless you truly want to have the latest and greatest 1080 SLI. Good luck brother and please keep me posted on here or via PM. I would love to post your 1080 SLI numbers on my review site if you got a chance.

Here are some of my hypothetical Titan X p numbers from 5 days ago to compare to real results today. I feel like I should be playing the lottery today. I was pretty much spot on! Lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mokrunka

Haha, yeah, I was googling around this afternoon after reading your article and doing the exact same thing. I was like, did he get a review sample somehow... ;)

You're right on the money, if I were smart, I'd do just that and grab a couple of 1070s and save myself some money. Which is what I did when I had my 2 watercooled 470s; buy one and then upgrade later. Spend 100% more money for an ~80% performance increase is much better than 100% for 20%! Fortunately, now I have a bit more disposable income, so I treated myself to the flagship card!

You should keep the website going dude! I know it's a lot of work, but you've put together a relevant and interesting article. Maybe something like a 'best hardware performance/dollar theme' hmmmm. Oh well, I've bookmarked it anyways. :)

And I will for sure let you know when I snag another 1080, but it may be a while... need to see how 4k gaming goes first!

Haturee

Kinda stoked and waiting for the debut of the 1080 Ti....
That's where I think I'll make my final decision on what cards are going to be my end game with this gen

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Interesting read since I just got a 1080 to try out in 4k , thx Dom for the cool info.