• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tmd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ardent

Whats it all about? Is it any good? Anyone have any experience with these fans? I am currently using a SFII, what would be the Pros and cons of switching?

Thx, Ardent

TMD (or Tip-Magnetic Driving) fans have a smaller central hub, killing off the dead spot in the middle and are quiet. However, you can't find any that would put out any higher than 35CFM(I think).

They've also got a size factor against them... the manufacturers make them with odd dimensions (61.5mm from screw hole to hole)
Making them weird to mount.

humm yeh there a good idea but just are not avalible in the right size/cfm yet

anyone know if they are avalible in bigger than 60mm (ish) as thats the biggest i have seen them

The force exerted on the fan on a Tmd is on the tips of the blades, rather than from the centre of the fan. Consequently the centre of the fan is a lot smaller.

There is no point to buying one so just get a normal fan with higher airflow...

I'll say what I've said before about them:

They're underpowered
They don't keep up in airflow
*They really don't decrease the dead zone for all intencive purposes

*Take special note of that.

What you people don't seem to know, or don't place any relevance in is the fact that 80%+ of the airflow comes from the last 30%- of the blades for our fans and their designs.

The simple fact that it has blades going down the middle farther would make you think it puts more air there now wouldn't you? That fact is correct. Where you all get incorrect is that there is very little air moving there...

Enough on the TMD fan's! Overpriced and yall keep getting sucked into them, and it kills me... LoL too funny!

thanks for that info toysrme i was ignorant. It is all verry logical now that it has been thrown infront of my face-time to rethink my fan selection.

(they do sound cool on startup though)

I meant it more as a rant against the very idea, not as an insult.

If you took it that way I appoligize.

no i dindnt take it as an insult but im verry happy that you mentioned this as i was aobut to get a TMD. No offense taken :).

i'v had TMDs, 1st was DOA. 2nd died after first week. I didn't want to try a 3rd. :-(

I went back to regular fans.

Toysrme said:
Enough on the TMD fan's! Overpriced and yall keep getting sucked into them, and it kills me... LoL too funny!

See thats the great thing about these forums....I knew nothing about these fans other than the product descriptions, so I ask here and get other people opinions....then you can make a more informed opinion.

bumpsted said:
i'v had TMDs, 1st was DOA. 2nd died after first week. I didn't want to try a 3rd. :-(

I went back to regular fans.

Right on, they are crap, im sure the return rate is probably atleast 30% and it would be alot higher if EVERYONE returned there dead ones. They are a gimmick DO NOT BUY THEM, ANYONE.!

Why Use The Tip-Magnetic Driving Fan (T.M.D. Fan)?
Tip-Magnetic Driving Fan (T.M.D. FAN) relocates motor from traditional location of central hub to the 4 corners.
COOLING POWER
It reduces 75% of traditional motor hub area. This revolutionary breakthrough not only increases 30% of airflow and static pressure, but also brings air stream directly to the centralized heat source. As a result, T.M.D. FAN improves the efficiency of heat dissipation at least 15%.
POWER CONSUMPTION / TORQUE
Locating motor at 4 corners substantially expands the room for winding. Thus, lower power consumption can be easily attained. At the same time, the torque of motor becomes even much more powerful than ever.
ACOUSTIC NOISE / BALANCE
The tips of fan blades are the main source of noise when a fan is rotating. The magnet of T.M.D. FAN surrounds along the tips of fan blades. This "tip-magnetic" design eliminates the major noise source of an impeller and provides the suspended balancing force when impeller is rotating.

chasingapple you have copied and pasted the exact same text in two different threads. That looks like marketing B.S straight from Y.S tech's own site. 15% more efficiant? who are they kidding?:rolleyes:

edit:nope sorry, 3 threads. 'Careful - i might have to report you for spaming lol

Back