• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tnt2 m64 pci OR agp lockups! plz help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

upgraded my friends computer over the past couple months.. nothing spectacular in terms of speed, but had alot of the parts lying around anyway.. the current system is as follows:

500mhz AMD K6-2
128MB PC133 RAM
FIC PA2013 socket 7 motherboard
20 GB Maxtor 5400 HD (slave for files, etc.)
5 GB Seagate 5400 HD (old one set up as master with win98SE)
Creative SoundBlaster Live SC
Pioneer 16x DvD
Creative 8x CD-RW

the system works fine other than when i try and play any type of game or run 3dmarks or something it hard locks or blue screens usually giving some .vxd error...

i orginally tried a AGP TNT2 M64 32MB card, which gave me these errors, then i tried a PCI version of the identical card.. and i still get them.. if anyone has ANY idea on how to help me, it would be greatly appreciated.. i was thinking maybe a bios flash, but am not sure where to get or which one i need.. and it is slightly dangerous, so i'm not too excited about it.. thx again

xl

Sounds like a heat or driver issue to me. Make sure you have good drivers installed for the TNT2, and make sure the CPU is not overheating. I had a problem with an FIC board... The AZ11. It would ALWAYS lockup in games, no matter what video board/ram I used.

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

i thought so too, so i took off case and put a large fan blowing into case.. still locked up.. in same places, tryign to do same things.. games, 3dmarks, etc.. both the pci and agp versions.. so i was thinking compatibilty problems or some other non-heat related issue... i'm looking at bios's now, but its pretty confusing and i cant seem to find the right one.. :p

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

i thought so too, so i took off case and put a large fan blowing into case.. still locked up.. in same places, tryign to do same things.. games, 3dmarks, etc.. both the pci and agp versions.. so i was thinking compatibilty problems or some other non-heat related issue... i'm looking at bios's now, but its pretty confusing and i cant seem to find the right one.. :p

AudiMan

I actually just bought a TNT2 M64 from my buddy for 10 bucks and I put it in my Epox 8kha+ (PCI) and it locked up a few times in 3D Mark. I used the latest detonator drivers, but I just took the card back out after a few trys. I heard that the latest drivers have bugs with the TNT2 cards. Try finding some older drivers if you can.

o770

try other versions of the chipset driver. remove the current one before to install the other. also, you dont need to benchmark using 3dmark2k1, if it is the one youre using. 2k is good enough since you havent the dx8 support with that video card.
what os is it?

AudiMan

I was using it on an XP system. I only had it in my rig to see if it works, and I'm sure it works fine. I just need to experiment with different drivers.