• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To floppy or not to floppy....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

How many of you use a floppy drive in your compouters and how do you use it? That is the question.

I use a floppy drive in mine, but only to reinstall windows, or mess with my HD from DOS (I use FAT). Every now and then my sister needs something off a floppy. But other than that, it's practicly never used.

C.P.

Angelus Errare

Registered
I have two in my computer. I don't really use them unless I'm reinstalling windows or transporting a few small files from computer to computer.

they don't really hold enough to do anything with them.

OP
Celeron_Phreak

Celeron_Phreak

Yeah, kinda useless now. Back when I was the master of obsolete computers here, I had two 386s, a 486 or two, and a 286 IBM PS/2 setup. So I had truckloads of floppies everywhere. Same goes for when I was going through my Mac times. I still have maybe 75 mac disks, of system software and just misc appz. Don't have much use for them now though. I'm going to speed, graphics, and stability now :)

ZedBias

I dont have one in my computer. Which is OK, but you have to transfer network card drivers if you dont have floppy, you have to burn the to CD! Bit of a waste if you dont have CDRW.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I always use floppy drives...cause Im always needing disk with various utilities on them and such... so for me its a sort of requirement :D

OP
Celeron_Phreak

Celeron_Phreak

haha. My older brother (AMD Pheark) says that if you use a floppy drive, then you are not 31337 (eleet). Funny thing is, he has a floppy drive in his comp and uses it for his school work, lol.

OP
Celeron_Phreak

Celeron_Phreak

Ahh, yes. Which reminds me. My older brother completely removed the floppy drive from his comp. Now he has an external USB 2.0 80GB hard drive. He removed it about two or three years ago and hasn't touched one since (as far as I know) :p

Pla

Try to install windows on a raid setup without floppy ...
Too bad they didn't think when they made win installation to ask from where to get the drivers.

BGPatterson

I use floppy drives to copy small files such as device drivers to another machine. An example would be network card drivers. I cannot access the 'net without a working network card.

LawyerLynn

I use a floppy for small file copys that I take from home to office and vice-versa once a month. However, I won't get rid of it because I also use it so save my bacon when I have a computer crash or serious problem. I run Norton Ghost off a floppy to make and retirieve disk/partition images. I also use it to boot to Partition Magic to deal with partition errors, MBR errors, etc. I use it to boot to dos with access to a CD so I can access XP's recovery Console on occassion. I use it to re-install everything when need be and to run dos based command line untilities for file recovery problems, etc. I think that except for small files and use as a problem/disaster recovery tool their use is pretty well limited since large files get burned on to CD's, Zip Disks or my 1GB IBM Microdrive. But they still have their uses and I don't consider them obsolete, I rely on them for troubleshooting and for the installation of certain drivers.

ToledoSteel

Its wise to keep it around though. For flashing the bios and raid in windows setup etc. Just plug it in when you need it. Otherwise use a USB floppy.