• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To paint my aopen case or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble2501

Hi, I've been playing around with the idea about painting my aopen case. But I'm wondering if the shape of the model would be a hinderance. So here's a few linkies to pics of the case I found from the manufactors case...

The case - full frontal

The case - side wide open

I wan't to paint a case with the mirror finish , but I don't know what to do with the plastic front panel. It's easily the ugliest part of the case, but it has other benefits like two usb ports and mic and audio out.
So should I first get some other cheap maybe used case and try to paint that instead of this one. (I like this option)
Or should I go ahead and try to paint this case, and with all your help think a solution to the front panel problem?

I have NEVER painted anything, so if you could just graciously point me to a direction of a few guides on how to paint the front panel (already have a guide about how to paint the sidepanels). I would greatly appriciate it. Also I'm not really sure how to go about painting the top of the case, I'm not sure if I can take it off.
Another benefit of first painting some other cheap case would be that I can use my computer during the project and I would get some experience before I start with this case.
Thanks for the quick reply!

i jus had a great time using vinyl color from the auto parts store for my cd burner bezel. I found it much easier to apply than paint. Also, it won't chip and scratch over time the way paint will, cuz it sort of melts its way in. You'll need to use regular paint on the side panels of course, so see if you can find a color scheme you like using a combination of dye/paint.

First step is to take everything completely apart, lay it out in a safe place where no debris will get at it. Masking tape off the places you don't want colored, and spray away following the directions on the can. If you do use the vinyl dye, be sure and give it plenty of drying time, as it softens the plastic somewhat as the dye sets in.

J>

Back