• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To take off cpu pads or not. That is the question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I am going to pelt/block my Xp2000 (i have never done it before). Do I take off the little rubber pads that are on the cpu? I thought I heard off some guy over at HardOCP didn't and it left a little gap between the cpu and the pelt which made it fry. Are the little rubber pads rigteous or evil?
Yes I have read a WHOLE BUNCH of articles on cooling and I still can't find the answer.

cjlax5

u may want to, in this case, take them off and put some stuff in between the cold plate and the cpu to prevent condensation on the chip, cause that will ruin it.

cjlax5

AntiHeiss said:
I'd leave them on, just be sure to use some thermal paste in there.

but he is using a pelt, and if he leaves them on there will be air in between there and there could be condensation on the cpu, and water + electronic = bad.

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Should I put Arctic silver 2 inbetween the variuos surfaces. Like the cpu & cold plate & pelt?

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
thanks bro, thats what i will do.:cool:

Smizack

Dead Boomslang collector
krag said:
I am going to pelt/block my Xp2000 (i have never done it before). Do I take off the little rubber pads that are on the cpu? I thought I heard off some guy over at HardOCP didn't and it left a little gap between the cpu and the pelt which made it fry. Are the little rubber pads rigteous or evil?
Yes I have read a WHOLE BUNCH of articles on cooling and I still can't find the answer.

Hmmm... I'd take them off and sell them to Smizack!;)
:D :D

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Re: Re: To take off cpu pads or not. That is the question.

Smizack said:

Hmmm... I'd take them off and sell them to Smizack!;)
:D :D

And why Smizack needs these?:eh?: The world may never know...:p

funnyperson1

Re: Re: Re: To take off cpu pads or not. That is the question.

donny_paycheck said:

And why Smizack needs these?:eh?: The world may never know...:p

does we really want to know?:rolleyes:

WillysNut

Senior Jeep Nut
I'll offer the only experience I have. I have 1, one, rubber pad that was removed after unlocking an XP cpu and I have not experienced any issues.

Am I using a pelt...no, not yet. But the point is that I have a pad removed and my HSF still sits properly on the cpu. No change in temps between before and after removing the pad at a given speed.

The issue of condensation could be addressed with or without pads by simply cutting just enough space in the dampening material to make room for the pads..or remove the pads and be sure that everything is flat.

Most waterblock/pelt combinations are secured using the four holes found on most mobos....especially considering a XP setup. If your going to remove one, remove them all and be sure that you properly torque your block/tec combo onto your core.

Air space is the enemy

res0r9lm

I only have 3 pads one of them fell off and I couldn't get it to stay on tried super glue fell off so I threw it away and have had no problems what so ever

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
I JUST GOT MY 1700+!!!!

and i saw them and i thought they looked much higher than my core so i stuck my block on it,(still in that blue box thing) and i looked under it and saw a huge air gap so i thought about the clamping tension and pushed it down a little bit and well, it did go down good so i think there is no worrys about it, but i supose if you are gonna use a pelt, take them off and insulate

Yodums

It seems the pad on my Morgan were higher on the core also, I took them off. I didn't compare before and after, so I don't know how much of a difference there is, also my heatsink is lapped so I'm pretty sure nothing will come in contact with the bridges.

I just consider it a shim to hold up the processor when smashing in the bridge, but I really don't know if it makes a CPU Temp difference (I may think it might just vary).

Yodums